The Student Room Group

Student finance overpayment and Post grad loan eligibility

Hi,

I am interested in studying a postgraduate course but am unsure if I could get any of the funding. I completed my degree in 2012 but subsequently found I had been overpaid some of the bursary. I have been repaying monthly since then but it is still quite a lot to pay, will I be eligible to apply for the post graduate loans when they are available or would I have to repay the over payment in full first

Thanks
Original post by Al_010
Hi,

I am interested in studying a postgraduate course but am unsure if I could get any of the funding. I completed my degree in 2012 but subsequently found I had been overpaid some of the bursary. I have been repaying monthly since then but it is still quite a lot to pay, will I be eligible to apply for the post graduate loans when they are available or would I have to repay the over payment in full first

Thanks

Hi

If you owe any outstanding loan or grant overpayments to SLC you won’t be able to get a Postgraduate Loan until your arrears are cleared.

If you’re repaying a bursary to your previous university this wouldn’t affect you getting a Postgraduate Loan.

Laura
Reply 2
Hi I came across this on the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama:

Previous Loans Any applicant with outstanding SLC loan arrears will not be eligible for a PGL
Outstanding SLC loan arrears means having missed any scheduled repayments, as opposed to having an outstanding SLC balance.

That means if you have been repaying the over-payment monthly then you should be eligible for post graduate funding?
Hi Sun619,

If you’re paying off an outstanding overpayment then you’ll still be eligible to apply for a Postgraduate Loan. The remainder of the overpayment balance will be deducted from how much Postgraduate Loan you can get.

But if you’re repaying an arrears balance for a missed repayment, then you won’t be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan until this has been repaid.

Thanks
Reply 4
This country is full of consultancy services, and student finance dont have a consultant to go through their system or ways of doing things and tell them your services sucks? is a shame that in UK, 80% (my statistics) of student are not satisfy with your services. Try to copy from other countries please. Upon all the graduates without jobs, student finance still have but one main head office. Why dont you guys create more offices to create jobs and speed the application process?
My situation is worst, they are telling me i have an overpayment of 3903. when they refuse to pay me my third (april) grants, childcare and i had to borrow here and there to make sure my child stays in nursery so i can complete my term. Just because my spouse lost his job for a month, and he have a new job, and i have sent all the evidence they requested for twice and still they refuse to pay me. I am just happy iam almost done with my study and i hope never to deal with SF ever again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending