Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There is a lot of contradictory information regarding eligibility.

I am interested in doing a postgraduate course at MMU and on their website and also on UCAS it states:
    'If you are Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, but ordinarily live in England, and have done so for the last three years, you will be able to receive a loan'

But the GOV.UK website says:
    'you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course' and 'you're living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course'

I am Welsh, but have been living in England for the past 18 months and studied my undergraduate degree in England between 2010-2013. Where does this leave me in terms of eligibility?

Thanks in advance,

Ceri
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by CeriWilliams90)
    There is a lot of contradictory information regarding eligibility.

I am interested in doing a postgraduate course at MMU and on their website and also on UCAS it states:
    'If you are Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish, but ordinarily live in England, and have done so for the last three years, you will be able to receive a loan'

But the GOV.UK website says:
    'you've been living in the UK for 3 years before starting your course' and 'you're living in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course'

I am Welsh, but have been living in England for the past 18 months and studied my undergraduate degree in England between 2010-2013. Where does this leave me in terms of eligibility?

Thanks in advance,

Ceri
    Hi

To get a Postgraduate Loan you have to have been living in the UK (or EU if you’re an EU national) for at least three years before the start of your course, and be ordinarily resident in England. This means you have to live in England onthe first day of the first academic year of your new course, and not have moved there for education.

Because you’ve been most recently living in England (and it doesn’t sound that you moved for education this time) you’ll be eligible for a Postgraduate Loan.

Laura

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: April 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.