ronnydandam
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131286-...and-groups.pdf 4Cii) help pls. for some reason for the answer the moles of ii) is half of the moles of i) but I don't see a 2:1 molar ratio in the balanced equation, what is going on. thanks.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
x
thefatone
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ronnydandam)
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/131286-...and-groups.pdf 4Cii) help pls. for some reason for the answer the moles of ii) is half of the moles of i) but I don't see a 2:1 molar ratio in the balanced equation, what is going on. thanks.
Peroxidation ??
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Group 2 metal, hence the equation is of the chloride is XCl2, and therefore for each mole of that you must have 2 of AgCl to balance chlorines
Neurology
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I got the answer as Magnesium.
You work it from backwards. Ill post the pictures of my working tommorow? Im really sleepy and my phone needs to charge
Neurology
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by samb1234)
Group 2 metal, hence the equation is of the chloride is XCl2, and therefore for each mole of that you must have 2 of AgCl to balance chlorines
The moles of AgCl is 0.06. The moles of of the group 2 chloride is 0.03.
its a good question
samb1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Neurology)
its a good question
I know
Peroxidation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Wellp, you know it's a group 2 metal and therefore has a 2+ ion in the group 2 chloride salt. So that means there's 1 mole of the metal to every 2 moles of the chloride ions.

To work out the moles of chloride you just need to work out the moles of silver chloride, since there's a 1:1 mole ratio. So you do your mass over Mr to get 0.06 moles. Since there's 2 moles of chloride ions to every mole of the metal you divide this by 2 to give 0.03 moles of group 2 metal ions.

The next step is working out how many grams of chloride were in the original chloride sample. The silver nitrate was in excess so you can assume that all of the chloride reacted. So, since the Ar of chlorine is 35.5 (it's negligibly higher for chloride but that doesn't matter here, after all it's just 5.5x10-4g more) you multiply 0.06 by 35.5 to give you 2.13g of chloride ions.

So for the mass of the group 2 metal in the sample you do the mass of the sample - the mass of chloride ions, which comes to 0.73g. Obviously the metal's quite light so you can discard all of the heavier group 2 metals as possibilities, beryllium chloride is molecular so it can't be that either. Anyways, divide the metal's mass by the number of moles to get the Mr and then that tells you what the metal is.

I came out with 24.3, so Magnesium's your mystery metal.
ronnydandam
Rep:
?
(Original post by thefatone)
Peroxidation ??
I got the answer as Magnesium.
You work it from backwards. Ill post the pictures of my working tommorow? Im really sleepy and my phone needs to charge
its a good question
I know
(Original post by Peroxidation)
Wellp, you know it's a group 2 metal and therefore has a 2+ ion in the group 2 chloride salt. So that means there's 1 mole of the metal to every 2 moles of the chloride ions.

To work out the moles of chloride you just need to work out the moles of silver chloride, since there's a 1:1 mole ratio. So you do your mass over Mr to get 0.06 moles. Since there's 2 moles of chloride ions to every mole of the metal you divide this by 2 to give 0.03 moles of group 2 metal ions.

The next step is working out how many grams of chloride were in the original chloride sample. The silver nitrate was in excess so you can assume that all of the chloride reacted. So, since the Ar of chlorine is 35.5 (it's negligibly higher for chloride but that doesn't matter here, after all it's just 5.5x10-4g more) you multiply 0.06 by 35.5 to give you 2.13g of chloride ions.

So for the mass of the group 2 metal in the sample you do the mass of the sample - the mass of chloride ions, which comes to 0.73g. Obviously the metal's quite light so you can discard all of the heavier group 2 metals as possibilities, beryllium chloride is molecular so it can't be that either. Anyways, divide the metal's mass by the number of moles to get the Mr and then that tells you what the metal is.

I came out with 24.3, so Magnesium's your mystery metal.
Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate it! Sorry for being a pain!
Peroxidation
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ronnydandam)
Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate it! Sorry for being a pain!
Nah, you're not being a pain. We all get stuck sometimes, it's far better to get help with it than to ignore it.
ronnydandam
Rep:
?
Nah, you're not being a pain. We all get stuck sometimes, it's far better to get help with it than to ignore it.
It won't let me give a you a rep? :/ Thanks again anyway!
Neurology
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
word.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (153)
14.53%
I'm not sure (46)
4.37%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (312)
29.63%
I have already dropped out (27)
2.56%
I'm not a current university student (515)
48.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed