r3l3ntl3ss
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm stuck on this question:

Each of n people drops his business card into an urn. They each then choose a card at random from the urn. Write down a formula for the probability that none of the n people gets his own card.

The answer is \displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^n \dfrac{(-1)^j}{j!} but I'm not sure how.

Appreciate any help, thanks.
Betelgeuse-
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its 50% - Either the N People get their own card or they dont.
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r3l3ntl3ss)
I'm stuck on this question:

Each of n people drops his business card into an urn. They each then choose a card at random from the urn. Write down a formula for the probability that none of the n people gets his own card.

The answer is \displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^n \dfrac{(-1)^j}{j!} but I'm not sure how.

Appreciate any help, thanks.
This is what is called a derangement. Probably the slickest way of doing this is via the inclusion exclusion formula. Do you know about that?
r3l3ntl3ss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gregorius)
This is what is called a derangement. Probably the slickest way of doing this is via the inclusion exclusion formula. Do you know about that?
yep I know about the inclusion exclusion formula, but I'm unsure about how to begin
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by r3l3ntl3ss)
yep I know about the inclusion exclusion formula, but I'm unsure about how to begin
Let A_i be the event that person i does get their card. You want 1 - \mathbb{P}(A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \cdots \cup A_n). Now start crunching the formula.
r3l3ntl3ss
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gregorius)
Let A_i be the event that person i does get their card. You want 1 - \mathbb{P}(A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \cdots \cup A_n). Now start crunching the formula.
ah I see, thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (98)
39.36%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (29)
11.65%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.23%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
22.89%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.05%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.83%

Watched Threads