Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck on this question:

Each of n people drops his business card into an urn. They each then choose a card at random from the urn. Write down a formula for the probability that none of the n people gets his own card.

The answer is \displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^n \dfrac{(-1)^j}{j!} but I'm not sure how.

Appreciate any help, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Its 50% - Either the N People get their own card or they dont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r3l3ntl3ss)
    I'm stuck on this question:

Each of n people drops his business card into an urn. They each then choose a card at random from the urn. Write down a formula for the probability that none of the n people gets his own card.

The answer is \displaystyle\sum_{j=0}^n \dfrac{(-1)^j}{j!} but I'm not sure how.

Appreciate any help, thanks.
    This is what is called a derangement. Probably the slickest way of doing this is via the inclusion exclusion formula. Do you know about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    This is what is called a derangement. Probably the slickest way of doing this is via the inclusion exclusion formula. Do you know about that?
    yep I know about the inclusion exclusion formula, but I'm unsure about how to begin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r3l3ntl3ss)
    yep I know about the inclusion exclusion formula, but I'm unsure about how to begin
    Let A_i be the event that person i does get their card. You want 1 - \mathbb{P}(A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \cdots \cup A_n). Now start crunching the formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gregorius)
    Let A_i be the event that person i does get their card. You want 1 - \mathbb{P}(A_1 \cup A_2 \cup \cdots \cup A_n). Now start crunching the formula.
    ah I see, thank you!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.