Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what is this effect called? Watch

ReputationRep:
    'One person does an action that gives them an advantage over other people. However, as more and more people copy that action, the relative advantage over the rest of the field is reduced'.

Example 1:

Amusement parks offer a fast-track route for roller-coasters.People who pay extra have their own shortened 'queue', meaning that they do not have to wait as long for the ride. However, if everyone who wanted to go on the roller coaster also pays extra for the fast-track route, then the average time a person would have to wait in fast-track becomes the same as the average time a person would have to wait if nobody chose to pay for fast-track.

Example 2:

A person who has previously been involved in admissions for Harvard University offers to help a prospective applicant (to the university) through each and every stage of the process. The applicant therefore has an advantage over other applicants. But if the 'helper' were to post very detailed information online on how to improve one's chances of being admitted into Harvard, that information and advice would be read and followed by tens of thousands of applicants. The average standard of applications increases, but like before, few people stand out over the rest. Thus the relative advantage is erased.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    it's called a social dilemma ;-)

ReputationRep:
    ._.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect it is some variation of the Cobra Effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    I suspect it is some variation of the Cobra Effect.
    well sort of but not really since that says essentially that as more people do x they realise that only a "limited amount of reward" is supposed to be had however they manipulated the system to increase gain for themselves.

i.e. as more people do this action other people get smart and increase the advantage for themselves

ReputationRep:
    The photoelectric effect, I think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    well sort of but not really since that says essentially that as more people do x they realise that only a "limited amount of reward" is supposed to be had however they manipulated the system to increase gain for themselves.

i.e. as more people do this action other people get smart and increase the advantage for themselves
    thefatone effect?

But to make it sound better - change it to D'ftone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    The photoelectric effect, I think
    ........ -_________________________-

(Original post by TheArtofProtest)
    thefatone effect?

But to make it sound better - change it to D'ftone.
    Lol no, i was just wondering since i saw this about a year back on tsr and i was intereted myself but no-one ever answered it and the thread died
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by thefatone)
    ._.
    ''A social dilemma is a situation in which an individual profits from selfishness unless everyone chooses the selfish alternative, in which case the whole group loses.''

isnt this what ur looking for tho

ReputationRep:
    The TL;DR effect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    ''A social dilemma is a situation in which an individual profits from selfishness unless everyone chooses the selfish alternative, in which case the whole group loses.''

isnt this what ur looking for tho
    No it isn't. That's to do with selfishness and knowingly know that you yourself are being selfish, however in the example of the rollercoaster one wouldn't know how many people have bought fast track tickets.

There's how much the advantage can increase and decrease, it's not a you profit or you don't, it can vary on a sliding sorta scale

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous*)
    The TL;DR effect
    That's the first mini paragraph

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.