Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I understand that if the pH of an enzyme solution is lowered, the H+ ions interact with the R - groups in the tertiary structure to a point that the enzyme becomes denatured.

What happens if the pH is raised above the optimum pH?

ReputationRep:
    If the pH of a solution is too high (i.e too far above the optimum pH) then there are too many OH- ions which- similarily to the H+ ions in too acidic solutions- then go on to interact with the ionic and hydrogen bonds in the enzymes tertiary structure, causing the bonds to break and the enzymes active site consequently changes and becomes permanently denatured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elishchambers)
    If the pH of a solution is too high (i.e too far above the optimum pH) then there are too many OH- ions which- similarily to the H+ ions in too acidic solutions- then go on to interact with the ionic and hydrogen bonds in the enzymes tertiary structure, causing the bonds to break and the enzymes active site consequently changes and becomes permanently denatured.
    This, or if the pH is still below 7 but above optimum, there is simply less H+ ions than what is needed for the protein to interact with to maintain its desired shape.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 27, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.