Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

today for my first time i wanted to launch quickly, I revved 4000 rpms then dropped the clutch, i did this 3 times in a row then stopped. I was just wondering how bad this is for my car?

ReputationRep:
    Not a huge amount of wear on the clutch so long as you actually dropped it, but your engine/gearbox mounts, driveshafts, and other drivetrain components won't be particularly happy with you I'd keep it to a minimum tbh, gearboxes aren't particularly cheap to fix if you do grenade it. You're better off rolling off the clutch in first before pegging it once the car is moving. Much easier on the driveline.

ReputationRep:
    Have fun picking up bits of your transmission off the road

(Original post by Nuffles)
    Not a huge amount of wear on the clutch so long as you actually dropped it, but your engine/gearbox mounts, driveshafts, and other drivetrain components won't be particularly happy with you I'd keep it to a minimum tbh, gearboxes aren't particularly cheap to fix if you do grenade it. You're better off rolling off the clutch in first before pegging it once the car is moving. Much easier on the driveline.
    yea il do that instead for the future, I only planned on doing it a few times anyway just to see what would happen, but its pretty fun lol

cheers

ReputationRep:
    I once "dropped the clutch", as you youngsters say. She didn't like it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been "dropping the clutch" every single day since I passed basically. Providing you do it properly, no problems at all.

You'd know if you was doing damage, you'd smell it, literally is an unavoidable smell that lingers around the car for awhile, dependent on how bad it is.

The only thing that is damaged on my car after coming upto a whole year of abuse next month is I required two new front tyres after a few months of learning to do donuts!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cursor28)
    I've been "dropping the clutch" every single day since I passed basically. Providing you do it properly, no problems at all.

You'd know if you was doing damage, you'd smell it, literally is an unavoidable smell that lingers around the car for awhile, dependent on how bad it is.

The only thing that is damaged on my car after coming upto a whole year of abuse next month is I required two new front tyres after a few months of learning to do donuts!
    You'll be doing damage. Just long term (years+) damage rather than short term. You're adding wear to your whole drivetrain, from the gears in the gearbox itself to your CV joints and engine mounts. You might be fine now, but you'll be getting bigger bills sooner than you're expecting in the future.

This is why "modded" cars are worth so little compared to the money invested in them. Cars with flashy wheels and spoilers scream "abused" and while the car might drive well, it's been subjected to extra wear and tear which will make itself known sooner rather than later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.