Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello there

I wonder if anyone may please be able to help me?

If I have made a dilution of a substance by adding 300ul of solute to 300ul solvent and then taking 300ul of this and adding it to a further 300ul of solvent - doing this until I get a dilution of 1:16 (therefore repeating the dilution 4 times), and I want to go from the concentration of the solute at 1:16 back to the original concentration of the solute when it was neat, what should I do? For example, if I find the concentration of the solute at 1:16 to be 0.40mg/ml, how would I know what the concentration was when it was neat (before dilutions) should I not have a sample of the neat version anymore? Do I need to multiply the concentration at 1:16, e.g. the 0.40mg/ml, by something?

Thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    1:16 means your diluted sample is 16 times less concentrated than the original one. so if you multiply your concentration at 1:16 by 16 it should give you the original one. for example: 0.40X16= 6.4mg/ml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alkyone)
    1:16 means your diluted sample is 16 times less concentrated than the original one. so if you multiply your concentration at 1:16 by 16 it should give you the original one. for example: 0.40X16= 6.4mg/ml
    Thank you so much!

Just to check, my dilution would be 1:16 if:

I add 300ul of solute and 300ul of solvent

then

I take 300ul of this and add it to 300ul of solvent

then

then

then

I really appreciate your help!

ReputationRep:
    I count 1 in 32 actually.
    1/2 to the power of 5 (you halve the concentration five times).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.