Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    So I'm currently in year 11, I am hoping to do medicine at hopefully King's College, or UCL....well that's the plan/aspirations anyway. I'm at a school now which isn't exactly known for brilliant success when it comes to grades, but i think i can get a decent amount of A*'s. I'll be doing my A-levels at a much better school so hopefully likely to get great A-levels too. (or the grades required for medicine anyway) But was wondering if university s like Kings and UCL will want me to do 4 A-levels? I am definitely going to take chemistry,biology and psychology but on and off about the idea of maths? So that's where you guys come in? From experience or just in general do you know if i have to have 4 A levels to do medicine?

ReputationRep:
    yo! i applied to UCL and King's and got offers from both on only 3 A2 subjects (plus enrichment) but it might be different depending on your course (im hopefully going to study Psychology BSc). neither specified any specific GCSEs either but may say like "Cs and above in GCSEs". a friend of mine is applying to top unis for medicine on only 3 a-levels, so you should be good with just 3!

anyways, don't take on 4 A2 courses unless you feel you have to, always better to do an enrichment just to help get some reduced offers and stuff as it's less workload and definitely not as difficult as maths l o l.

if youre talking about just choosing your AS, definitely do 4 as it would put you at a major disadvantage having only 3 AS levels compared to other candidates, then just drop the one you enjoy least/do the worst in at A2 (what i did with maths).

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thats a plan! Do 4 AS and drop maths in the second year. I don't know if i could deal with maths though....any other subject that would still be good for applying to medicine? Because i know traditionally its the sciences and maths. I just don't think that i could amazingly in maths considering it will be a lot harder than GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations on getting those offers, they're amazing, I'd love to be in your position in a few years Thats a plan! Do 4 AS and drop maths in the second year. I don't know if i could deal with maths though....any other subject that would still be good for applying to medicine? Because i know traditionally its the sciences and maths. I just don't think that i could amazingly in maths considering it will be a lot harder than GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Studentlife02)
    Congratulations on getting those offers, they're amazing, I'd love to be in your position in a few years Thats a plan! Do 4 AS and drop maths in the second year. I don't know if i could deal with maths though....any other subject that would still be good for applying to medicine? Because i know traditionally its the sciences and maths. I just don't think that i could amazingly in maths considering it will be a lot harder than GCSE
    haha thanks!! just gotta pull through with the grades now. maths is super tricky, i did stats and scraped a C from an A in GCSE because i really lost motivation a few months in if you work hard and do as many past papers as possible you can ace maths even if you dont have that natural ability - C1 is just like advanced GCSE and while C2 is trickier if you do enough work you can get really good grades just because of the exam format like, you always know if youre right or wrong and just knowing the topics inside out makes maths exams pretty simple.

obviously it's a hard a-level but definitely possible! if not sciences are good for medicine but universities also value the core subjects, so english lit and stuff too!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.