Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody.

I'm really struggling on this question. The last time I did this I only got 3/5, which confuses me as I thought I answered properly. Can anyone help me?
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  32.5 KB
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TobyReichelt)
    Hi everybody.

I'm really struggling on this question. The last time I did this I only got 3/5, which confuses me as I thought I answered properly. Can anyone help me?
    Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 62
Size:  32.5 KB
    It would help to see where you are losing marks if you gave us your answer and also posted the paper and mark scheme.

My suspicion is you have not stated how the diode junction works and understood how the energy barrier across the junction operates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    It would help to see where you are losing marks if you gave us your answer and also posted the paper and mark scheme.

My suspicion is you have not stated how the diode junction works and understood how the energy barrier across the junction operates.
    good point, why does a diode graph characteristic look like it is? i have no idea, but i do know it does look like the pic OP posted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    good point, why does a diode graph characteristic look like it is? i have no idea, but i do know it does look like the pic OP posted
    In the forward-biased state, as long as the applied voltage is less than the knee voltage, the current is roughly exponential in the voltage. (This is the Shockley diode equation). This exponential relationship can be derived from statistical mechanics, which says that in the unbiased state, the number of charge carriers that can cross the energy barrier of the depletion layer follows a Boltzmann distribution (i.e. the same distribution that energy follows in an ideal gas). You can see some more details here:

http://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu/III_14.html

Once the applied voltage is greater than the knee voltage, the I-V curve tends asymptotically towards an ohmic relationship as V increases. This is because the current is limited by the ohmic properties of the diode material, rather than by the ability of charge carriers to cross the energy barrier of the depletion layer. I don't know enough about the details of this region to say much more than that, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.