Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents made me go on the 'Banting' diet (google it) with them and it involves no carbs or sugar, only once a week. So basically every meal is either minimal protein/fish and vegetables. My dad is a personal trainer and always tells me that carbs are 'the devil'. It's made me very guilty with what I eat daily because I go to boarding school and EVERY meal has some kind of carb in it. Any advice?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Yes it is absolutely unhealthy to consume the source of the majority of the energy you need throughout the day. Your dad is a personal trainer, not a dietitian.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is unhealthy to take very little/no carbs

ReputationRep:
    Umm theres nothing wrong with carbs.

ReputationRep:
    In a medical sense you can convert anything into a healthy or toxic dosage, you just got to get the balance right. The media and government usually dont know or only give assumptions on what a balanced diet is but carbs have been in many animals and our diets for a long time.
    The only thing i can say with without doubt is that you have to have doubt. Don;t believe in fads until theres a majority consensus or its within personal belief.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What does he think vegetables are made up of? Carbs are essential in a balanced diet.
    Personal trainers arent dieticians.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/loseweigh...out-carbs.aspx

ReputationRep:
    Your dad's really fighting the stereotype that most personal trainers are idiots that make a career out of spouting broscience :rolleyes: Ask him for proof of this claim and watch him try and BS his way out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Personinsertname)
    Umm theres nothing wrong with carbs.
    That's what I think, so I keep eating a regular amount for energy. It's so frustrating for me because sometimes I just want pasta at home for a night, and they'll see ok fine BUT then say later 'oh we changed our mind because it's healthier to eat something different' etc ((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katodizzle)
    My parents made me go on the 'Banting' diet (google it) with them and it involves no carbs or sugar, only once a week. So basically every meal is either minimal protein/fish and vegetables. My dad is a personal trainer and always tells me that carbs are 'the devil'. It's made me very guilty with what I eat daily because I go to boarding school and EVERY meal has some kind of carb in it. Any advice?
    Vegetables are carbs, I eat carbs everyday (eg: Rice all types) and no they're not bad for you in moderation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Your dad's really fighting the stereotype that most personal trainers are idiots that make a career out of spouting broscience :rolleyes: Ask him for proof of this claim and watch him try and BS his way out of it.
    He has this book at home called 'The Real Meal Revolution' by Prof. Time Noakes, and I swear he treats it like the word of God no joke. That's where he gets all the diet stuff from. He even made 'carb free bread' which is acc not too bad ngl but still :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    Vegetables are carbs, I eat carbs everyday (eg: Rice all types) and no they're not bad for you in moderation.
    Exactly what I think! completely agree

ReputationRep:
    That's what I think, so I keep eating a regular amount for energy. It's so frustrating for me because sometimes I just want pasta at home for a night, and they'll see ok fine BUT then say later 'oh we changed our mind because it's healthier to eat something different' etc ((
    I guess your parents, wants your family to more nutritious foods, (Which is a very good thing) rather than non-nutritious foods, White Flour is honestly bad for example.

ReputationRep:
    I guess your parents, wants your family to more nutritious foods, (Which is a very good thing) rather than non-nutritious foods, Flour is honestly bad for example.
    Yeah true, but if I ask for pesto pasta which is one of my favourite meals, as a 'treat' because I come home rarely, then how hard can it be to eat one carb meal??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah true, but if I ask for pesto pasta which is one of my favourite meals, as a 'treat' because I come home rarely, then how hard can it be to eat one carb meal??
    That's no big of a deal, you can have what you want, once in a while. It's just bad having it regularly.

Vegetables, Fruits, Legumes, Nuts, Chicken, Fish, Eggs. They're all good for you, (preferably from an organic source if possible)

ReputationRep:
    That's no big of a deal, you can have what you want, once in a while. It's just bad having it regularly.

Vegetables, Fruits, Legumes, Nuts, Chicken, Fish, Eggs. They're all good for you, (preferably from an organic source if not)
    Yeah I try to eat as well as I can given that school food is what it is, eat plenty of vegetables, protein, eggs and some carbs. I'm trying to save desserts for weekends which is a little difficult but I'm trying lol

ReputationRep:
    You need carbs to survive. Like anything though (except maybe friends) a moderate amount is always best but extremes are always bad.

ReputationRep:
    no, your dad is a moron

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.