The Student Room Group

AAAB or AAA at AS level?

Are there any benefits of doing 4 over 3? I really wanna drop one because its gonna bring my average UMS down and its unrelated to medicine which is what i want to do at university? Is 4 always better than 3? I really dont see why but can anyone else offer their opinion?
No, unless you're applying for Medicine at a prestigious university.
Reply 2
Original post by Moodicrus
Are there any benefits of doing 4 over 3? I really wanna drop one because its gonna bring my average UMS down and its unrelated to medicine which is what i want to do at university? Is 4 always better than 3? I really dont see why but can anyone else offer their opinion?

If you are thinking about Cambridge (because, UMS) then the average they look at is your Best 3, not 4. Which course are you considering and what subjects do you have at AS?

And note that reformed AS subjects will not have UMS anyway. Only Maths, Geograpy and a few others still have UMS.
Reply 3
Original post by RezzBerry
No, unless you're applying for Medicine at a prestigious university.

So is that to say that Oxbridge would prefer AAAB to AAA? Obviously AAAA would be ideal, but which is the lesser of two evils? Also considering Cambridge look at your AS module UMS marks, surely 3 with a higher UMS would be advantageous to 4 with a lower one? And considering so many school don't even offer AS Levels anymore, to what extent are they likely to use them to?
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
If you are thinking about Cambridge (because, UMS) then the average they look at is your Best 3, not 4. Which course are you considering and what subjects do you have at AS?

And note that reformed AS subjects will not have UMS anyway. Only Maths, Geograpy and a few others still have UMS.

I'm doing Biology Chemistry Maths and Economics, and i had no idea that they look at your best 3 and not 4, thanks! I want to do medicine, or at least make the most competitive application. Do you still not have to submit your AS UMS Modules in the SAQ?
Reply 5
I'm doing Biology Chemistry Maths and Economics, and i had no idea that they look at your best 3 and not 4, thanks! I want to do medicine, or at least make the most competitive application. Do you still not have to submit your AS UMS Modules in the SAQ?

Yes you do, but only if the modules have UMS. Of your subjects only Maths will have.

For Medicine they would have used SUMS - i.e. Maths (inc FM) & Bio & Chem & Physics. They would ignore Economics. But with reformed A-level they will just get Maths.

Everyone will be in a similar position. And Cambridge is very used to assessing applicants with or without UMS.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
Yes you do, but only if the modules have UMS. Of your subjects only Maths will have.

For Medicine they would have used SUMS - i.e. Maths (inc FM) & Bio & Chem & Physics. They would ignore Economics. But with reformed A-level they will just get Maths.

Everyone will be in a similar position. And Cambridge is very used to assessing applicants with or without UMS.

Thank you very much, you've been very helpful and informative :tongue:
Reply 7
Thank you very much, you've been very helpful and informative :tongue:

No problem! Now go join the 2017 Cambridge Hopefulls thread :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest