The Student Room Group

Any tips for exams/revision?

Hi everyone,

I don't know if a thread like this already exists but I am currently doing my GCSEs and I thought it would be nice to make a thread to give each other hints/tips just to help each other along. I was thinking they could be just general, individual subject based or anything else that you can think of.

I always make the same stupid mistakes in exams so here are some I have picked up on:-
-In Chemistry, say a solution is colourless, don't say it is clear as that just means it is see through.
-In maths make sure you so the positive and negative stuff right.

Mine are both subject based but any tips would be great.

Thanks
Reply 1
-In maths make sure you so the positive and negative stuff right

No offence but that is some pretty crappy advice
Original post by Saihan
-In maths make sure you so the positive and negative stuff right

No offence but that is some pretty crappy advice

Yes I know, I was struggling on wording that. But I do make lots of stupid mistakes in maths, I get the method right but then something like that or rounding just ruins the whole thing.
I have thought of some better ones today.

-For science give your answers to the same decimal places as there is in the question so if there is one decimal place in the question answer with something like 20.0 rather than just 20, for accuracy.

-For languages for listening (AQA IGCSE) some questions have a pause between different parts of a question so 1)a and 1)b would have a pause between it and it would say the question number. But other questions have 3 or 4 parts too but they just continue on without a break, the way to tell the
difference is that these questions would have parts i) and ii) instead of a) and b). So I am going to circle these questions in the 5 minute reading time.
-Watch videos on topics not fully understood yet & take notes
-Use flashcards for quick cramming
-Make sure you read questions carefully, and also note that in sciences sometimes the answer to a previous question is revealed in another question
-Download apps for subjects like math, history, etc for practice anywhere anytime
Original post by itsmetabs
-Watch videos on topics not fully understood yet & take notes
-Use flashcards for quick cramming
-Make sure you read questions carefully, and also note that in sciences sometimes the answer to a previous question is revealed in another question
-Download apps for subjects like math, history, etc for practice anywhere anytime

Thank you, can you recommend any good apps?
Original post by niv1234
Thank you, can you recommend any good apps?

Gojimo is a very good quiz app. I also use Quizlet or OneNote if I need to cram any flashcards/notes that I didn't have time to make physically. Also, IGCSE world is helpful because it has loads of past papers with the mark scheme & examiner's report of each :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest