Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What annoys/annoyed you most about living at home? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm having a bit of a crisis over moving out lol. At first my parents were dead set on me living at home due to a number of family issues but after a few months they've finally come round to the idea of me moving out and it looks like I'll be in halls this Autumn at Glasgow!

I feel awful because I genuinely need to spread my wings a little because I feel as if they are suffocating and so I want to know that I'm not the only one who's family really bugs them with simple things. What's the most annoying thing about living with your family?

(Original post by TinyPhasma)
    I'm having a bit of a crisis over moving out lol. At first my parents were dead set on me living at home due to a number of family issues but after a few months they've finally come round to the idea of me moving out and it looks like I'll be in halls this Autumn at Glasgow!

I feel awful because I genuinely need to spread my wings a little because I feel as if they are suffocating and so I want to know that I'm not the only one who's family really bugs them with simple things. What's the most annoying thing about living with your family?
    OMG. I feel so restricted, I'm 18 for goodness sake! They confiscate my phone and are extremely nosey. And they haven't even come around to the idea of me moving out. I really need to move out this year for uni but they refuse to understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    OMG. I feel so restricted, I'm 18 for goodness sake! They confiscate my phone and are extremely nosey. And they haven't even come around to the idea of me moving out. I really need to move out this year for uni but they refuse to understand.

Oh my god I thought I was the only one with the phone thing! They went as far as to put a tracking app on my phone but soon took it off when they realised I was only going to school during the day and jogging or going to the gym after school. It still hurt to know they didn't trust me though

ReputationRep:
    Coming home from school to see a heap of unwashed plates and the living room being full of loges and the ripped torsos of Ken dolls; the radiators meticulously decorated with damp clothes like stockings on a Christmas fireplace.

ReputationRep:
    They forgot I was their daughter and not their cleaner - I'd come home from school with the intention of doing homework only to be greeted by a sink full of dishes, dinner requests, shirts to iron, vacuuming to do and bathing my little brother.
    So I moved out into my grandparents house, and I didn't have a bedroom door...so that was fun.

ReputationRep:
    Neither of my parents believed in knocking before entering my room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Neither of my parents believed in knocking before entering my room.
    M or F?

Damn. I've had a lock on my door since I was like 10. Most can't have locks luckily my parents were trusting

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tidying up after your younger siblings. I think thats the worst - everything else is ok.

ReputationRep:
    I miss living out at uni so much. Now that I'm home if I go out, my parents want to know where I'm going, who I'm going with, what time I'll be back etc. Despite them having all this information before I leave this doesn't stop them calling me at regular intervals asking what time I'll be back and whether I'm having dinner at home - like ffs I already answered your five million questions JKH\sikgklnmjs;lxcvm\vopgvk.

ReputationRep:
    Everytime I go home from uni, I'm reminded of the pros and cons of living at home and at university.

Pros for being home:
    I don't have to do my own laundry because my mum will insist on doing it.
    I don't have to pay for my own shopping.
    My parents are very clean and clean up after themselves
    My dad will drive me to my friends' houses or to town when he's not working.

Cons:
    My mum often doesn't bother knocking when coming into my room.
    My parents constantly check up on me, like every hour on the hour.

Pros for living at university:
    Privacy.
    I don't have to answer to anyone when I come home and I can be out for as long as I like without being questioned.
    I can pick my own shopping down to every individual product
    I don't have to wait on my mum to wash clothes, I can wash them whenever I choose and as frequently as I choose

Cons:
    Everything I pay for comes out of my own pocket
    My flatmates are disgustingly messy, I don't know how they're not embarassed to leave their dirty dishes on the counter for over a week until they go moldy and literally have to be thrown out
    My flatmates are loud and we aren't friends
    It can get boring living in this area away from people I actually give a damn about

Overall, if I ignore the cons to do with my flatmates (who are horrid), then living at uni is way better than being a home and it was everything I thought it would be. When I move on from university, I want to either live alone or with my best friend.

ReputationRep:
    Having to hand my phone in at night; having the Internet turned off between 11pm and 8am; not being allowed friends over; not being allowed to go to sleepovers; not being allowed to move out for uni; the petty arguments; the not knocking on the door.

I'm not allowed to hold hands, hug, or kiss (and by this I mean even a brief peck on the cheek) anyone (although obviously I do when she isn't around to see it).

I'm 20 next year and looking at moving in with my boyfriend in 2017, but I'm terrified of telling my mother as she'd flip out. She goes mental about the littlest things, and tries to dictate my essay and homework schedule despite having no idea when I do or don't have work to do.

Lack of privacy, always a heap of things to do, meals to cook for everyone, people not realising uni finals actually need time for revision..

But hey, being a carer too I suppose its all part of the package lol..

-Not being able to come out
    -No knocking or taps slightly then comes in a split second later anyway
    -Constant pestering
    -Treating me like i'm five

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.