Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...scillator.html

Using the square wave signal generator.
    For the 555 timer, how have they got the times for charging to be t=ln(2)RC
    The time for charging through 2 resistors for a capacitor should be Vin/3 / (R1 + R2) = I
    Because we are only charging 1/3 of Vin, from 1/3 of Vin to 2/3 of Vin.
    The voltage of the capacitor should be 2Vin/3 and put into the equation C=Q/V we get C = 3Q/Vin.
    The charge transfered during that time are equal so we sub for Q.
    Getting t = 2C(R1+R2), where have they gotten ln(2)(R1+R2) = t for charging time?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JokesOnYoo)
    http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/...scillator.html

Using the square wave signal generator.
    For the 555 timer, how have they got the times for charging to be t=ln(2)RC
    The time for charging through 2 resistors for a capacitor should be Vin/3 / (R1 + R2) = I
    Because we are only charging 1/3 of Vin, from 1/3 of Vin to 2/3 of Vin.
    The voltage of the capacitor should be 2Vin/3 and put into the equation C=Q/V we get C = 3Q/Vin.
    The charge transfered during that time are equal so we sub for Q.
    Getting t = 2C(R1+R2), where have they gotten ln(2)(R1+R2) = t for charging time?
    during charge the pd across the capacitor goes from 1/3 Vcc to 2/3 Vcc... i.e double it's initial pd

it's being charged by a RC circuit with a pd of Vcc.
    2/3 Vcc is halfway between 1/3 Vcc and Vcc

ln(2)RC gives the time for the pd across a capacitor to double - in this case R is R1+R2

during discharge the pd across the capacitor goes from 2/3 Vcc to 1/3 Vcc... i.e. half it's initial pd.

ln(2)RC gives the time for the pd across a capacitor to half - in this case R is only R2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.