Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm approaching the end of my first year at St Andrews (which is amazing by the way, would definitely not be happier anywhere else), and have just learnt that the two subjects I was planning to take to honours (i.e. take as my actual degree in the last 2 years of my course) have a timetable clash in years 2, 3 and 4, and so I cannot take them as a joint degree.

The course I applied through UCAS to do, and which I am officially enrolled in here, is Classics (Latin and Greek), though in their first two years, everyone takes a module in three different subjects, so, thinking I'd like it, I chose Art History as my third. I've come to love it so much that I wanted to make it part of my degree but Latin and Art History clash so this is impossible.

I am better at Art History, getting consistently high grades, but with Classics I'm not doing amazingly. I also think I enjoy Art History a little more, but I would still miss Latin dearly if I were to drop it. However, I am concerned about how disrespected I would be if I were to complete a degree in Art History - not just in my social life but employability-wise, as it is usually known as a subject for 'dumb rich girls'. Classics on the other hand is highly respected in any field.

So I am faced with this decision: do Art History, which is not respectable but I may be able to get a first in? Or do Classics, which is highly respectable but in which it is unlikely I'll get a first? Any help/opinions/discussion would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisytreloar27)
    I'm approaching the end of my first year at St Andrews (which is amazing by the way, would definitely not be happier anywhere else), and have just learnt that the two subjects I was planning to take to honours (i.e. take as my actual degree in the last 2 years of my course) have a timetable clash in years 2, 3 and 4, and so I cannot take them as a joint degree.

The course I applied through UCAS to do, and which I am officially enrolled in here, is Classics (Latin and Greek), though in their first two years, everyone takes a module in three different subjects, so, thinking I'd like it, I chose Art History as my third. I've come to love it so much that I wanted to make it part of my degree but Latin and Art History clash so this is impossible.

I am better at Art History, getting consistently high grades, but with Classics I'm not doing amazingly. I also think I enjoy Art History a little more, but I would still miss Latin dearly if I were to drop it. However, I am concerned about how disrespected I would be if I were to complete a degree in Art History - not just in my social life but employability-wise, as it is usually known as a subject for 'dumb rich girls'. Classics on the other hand is highly respected in any field.

So I am faced with this decision: do Art History, which is not respectable but I may be able to get a first in? Or do Classics, which is highly respectable but in which it is unlikely I'll get a first? Any help/opinions/discussion would be greatly appreciated!
    I'd suggest Classics, given it's the superior subject and the department is superb. Of course, I might be somewhat biased.

ReputationRep:
    I think in the end you should do what you love regardless of what people think of it, it's what you will be employed on for the rest of your life! If that's art history then maybe do that!

ReputationRep:
    I agree - do what you love and good things will follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisytreloar27)

Art History is a respected and versatile degree which would enable you to go into pretty much any field. Classics is much narrower (and imho I really don't like the teaching of Classics at St A; I scrapped it after a year), and not any more respectable than Art History. I'm not sure where you're getting those assumptions from; I've been at St A for three years and never heard a thing like that.

At the end of the day, you should pick the one you enjoy more. If you want to do Art History but still like Latin, I believe the university has night courses in latin you can do for fun.

ReputationRep:
    Within St A I haven't heard anyone say Art History is for stupid rich people. In the wider world I can see how you got that impression but it's a load of rubbish.

I set my heart on statistics, despite it being occasionally mocked by some of my lecturers in pure maths and even people in TSR talk about how it isn't real maths. Yet I'm starting a PhD which you can only do in a subject you love, not one you think is "better" or "more respected". Equally when it comes to careers they'll want a good degree classification and not care particularly about the subject. The higher grade you can secure the better.

I actually wanted to take maths and french but couldn't due to a clash I kept up with my french in my free time and I think you could easily self-teach Latin if you wanted to. You don't have to give up Latin if you stop studying it academically.

I hope you're happy with whatever you decide, good luck OP!

ReputationRep:
    Do what you love, or else you'll do what you don't love half-heartedly. In terms of employment, you can spin any degree in a CV/résumé to fit the position you're applying for. Classics isn't immune from being looked down upon; no subject is. So just do what you love.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.