Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • #1
    • Thread Starter


    I am in a rut in my life at the moment and would appreciate some advice.

    Basically I dropped out of university the first time around due to health issues and am now wanting to return. I don't have a permanent residence in the UK anymore due to family issues and am currently staying in another European country. I don't have any money and there are no jobs for English speakers where I live. I need to leave my current domestic situation fairly quickly for reasons I won't go into.

    The options I have narrowed down for myself are the following:

    1) Go to university this year. It is a golden triangle university but the course is not my first choice. On the plus side it will be fairly easy for me to achieve highly in it. This would give me the credentials I need to apply afterwards to my favoured course (for the right reasons) and would give me good prospects, a means of living in the UK and would remove me from my current domestic situation.

    2) Get a job and do some more qualifications over one or two years to have a stab at getting into my first choice university for my first choice course without doing another degree first. This would save money and time. The problem here is that I am stuck as to how I can get a job and become self-sufficient in my current situation. I may be able to get some money to get over and survive for a while in the UK to do this but there is an element of real risk especially with my large CV gaps and it may take up to two years for me to be able to return to university.

    3) Get a job for the next year (with the same difficulties applying) while applying to a separate non-university higher education institution to pursue a specific career path which is my ultimate ideal but is also extremely insecure without the safeguard of a university degree to fall back on.

    If anyone has any advice I'd be very happy to hear it, thanks.
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

    Sponsored features:

    Making money from your own website

    Need some cash?

    How to make money running your own website.

    Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

    Handle your digital footprint

    What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Write a reply...
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.