x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    A137 - Amendment Voting AmendmentProposed by: The Rt. Hon. Jammy Duel MP (Con)
    Seconded by: The Rt. Hon. Life_peer MP (Con), The Rt. Hon. mobbsy91 MP (Con), The Rt. Hon. the financier MP (Con), The Rt. Hon. PetrosAC MP (Lib)

Amendment Voting Amendment

To, in the constitution, replace:

9.4.to the guiding document will be passed if more MPs vote Aye than No

9.5.to the constitution will be passed if twice as many MPs vote Aye as No

with:

9.4.to non binding segments of the guiding document will be passed if more MPs vote Aye than No

9.5.to the constitution and/or binding segments of the guiding document will be passed if twice as many MPs vote Aye as No

NotesThis is a half way house amendment, due to a shortage of time now to go through things more rigorously this comes to the same effect as moving the relevant parts of the Guiding Document to the Constitution. It seems somewhat irrational for certain binding items to require one majority and other binding items to require another

• Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Aye Aye Capt'n!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nay
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Aye. I see no reason to oppose this amendment.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I would prefer all items need a plain majority

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why complicate things.

3/4 vote on all GD and C changes imo

ReputationRep:
    Aye.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Nay.

I imagine the reason the binding parts of the GD are in the GD is for the very reason that a simple majority is needed to amend them.

This is a thinly-veiled attempt to prevent the re-introduction of a mass PM.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Aye.

ReputationRep:
    Nay.

ReputationRep:
    Nay, the correct way to address the disparity is to reduce the requirement for constitutional amendment to a bare majority.

Edit: also, it must be stated that it is currently unclear what parts of the GD are binding - although the Constitution states that some are binding, it can be argued that this is not limited. The Amendment should be resubmitted with the precise scope outlined if it is to have any effect.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hmm, what are the chances labour are against this because they want to amend such sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Hmm, what are the chances labour are against this because they want to amend such sections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm, what are the chances the Tories are for this because they want to stop amendments to such sections that they don't like?

ReputationRep:
    I want to see the counter argument to SF

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Hmm, what are the chances the Tories are for this because they want to stop amendments to such sections that they don't like?
    We have our own amendments we want, didn't stop the submission.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I want to see the counter argument to SF
    In fact I have doubts (perhaps someone more experienced was around then?) that the so-called "binding" sections of the GD were ever intended to be binding, and wonder whether it was actually a question of poorly wording the Constitution.

In any case, the Constitution is for the very fundamental only. The minutiae of the general election do not fit into that category as I see it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    In fact I have doubts (perhaps someone more experienced was around then?) that the so-called "binding" sections of the GD were ever intended to be binding, and wonder whether it was actually a question of poorly wording the Constitution.

In any case, the Constitution is for the very fundamental only. The minutiae of the general election do not fit into that category as I see it.
    Pretty sure there are swathes of the constitution that should be in the GD by that logic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Pretty sure there are swathes of the constitution that should be in the GD by that logic.
    I don't necessarily disagree.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 9, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.