Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously thinking of changing Sixth Forms now that it's been comfirmed mine is the biggest sh!thole filled with the worst c***s in my whole town.

Anyone got any experiences?

ReputationRep:
    Aww, sorry to hear about that.

I heard something about having to match up exam boards when moving after doing AS levels. But someone will probably correct me on that.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. If they don't match then can I not move? Can't the exam boards just take it as equivalent?

ReputationRep:
    I don't personally, but my best friend moved from my old college (Havant) when we had both just started. She wanted to do Photography and they didn't do it there, she'd only been there 2 days but she decided to move to Southdowns, as they do do that course. All she did was told Havant college she was moving, contacted Southdowns and explained evertyhing and she was accepted in there the next day.. pretty simple.

How long've you been going to your current sixth form?

It's a really simple process, but I guess it'll be more complicated if you've been at the sixth form for a while..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zombie)
    I'm seriously thinking of changing Sixth Forms now that it's been comfirmed mine is the biggest sh!thole filled with the worst c***s in my whole town.

TBH I think it's a very bad decision to move school for just 1 year - By the time any relationships are formed, you then go off to uni anyway.

You've been in your school a very long time (presumably) and it's best to finish your A-Level education there - You don't want to cause hassle for yourself at such an important time.

Also, you'll have a nightmare concerning exam boards - I doubt you can just go from one board to another - There will be big problems even if it's permitted; e.g.) Different syllabus content/clashes etc.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. If they don't match then can I not move? Can't the exam boards just take it as equivalent?
    Usually they don't - But even so, what about the syllabus content? For example, sometimes one board does certain content at AS when on your board it would be at A2, things like that would pose big problems.

It's a bad idea - Jesus, can't you just stick it out for another year?

I've been at my current school and hated every minute of it for 4 whole years, one year for you shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:

YES!! i wanted to switch schools after my AS but there were too many complications with exam boards and stuff. just some things to think about....would your new school be able to write u a nice reference when u apply to uni..having only known you for a few mnths?
    is your current school gonna give u a leaving cert? coz mine didn't want to and so ppl would have thought i was expelled or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momentum)
    TBH I think it's a very bad decision to move school for just 1 year - By the time any relationships are formed, you then go off to uni anyway.

You've been in your school a very long time (presumably) and it's best to finish your A-Level education there - You don't want to cause hassle for yourself at such an important time.

Also, you'll have a nightmare concerning exam boards - I doubt you can just go from one board to another - There will be big problems even if it's permitted; e.g.) Different syllabus content/clashes etc.
    I'm not so worried about the relationships - I know plenty of ppl outside of school, some of them at the school I'd move to. It's the people at my current school that I can't stand.

My teachers are annoying. They judge me on what my brother was like and don't give me the opportunity to prove to them I'm a different person. My one and only good and motivating teacher there is leaving to go travelling. My head of sixth form just had a go at me for missing last lesson yesterday in front of the entire common room - I mean, I miss 1 lesson an get done for it? Not even by the subject teacher? Has it not occured to them there actually might be a reason I wasn't there?

I'm sick of all the *****ing about people and I just want to go somewhere I can disappear into the background...

ReputationRep:
    Usually they don't - But even so, what about the syllabus content? For example, sometimes one board does certain content at AS when on your board it would be at A2, things like that would pose big problems.

It's a bad idea - Jesus, can't you just stick it out for another year?

I've been at my current school and hated every minute of it for 4 whole years, one year for you shouldn't be a problem.
    These are meant to be some of the best years of my life. If I stay at my current school things won't get any better, if I move they might. What have I got to loose?

So no, I can't stick it out for another year because it's a place I spend a lot of time in. I bet if I had to walk in there and tell my head of year I wanted to move he'd all of a sudden be my best mate - my school is so crap all they care about is getting people in the paper. I'm not jus some trophy student who does well and gets them prestige...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not so worried about the relationships - I know plenty of ppl outside of school, some of them at the school I'd move to. It's the people at my current school that I can't stand.

My teachers are annoying. They judge me on what my brother was like and don't give me the opportunity to prove to them I'm a different person. My one and only good and motivating teacher there is leaving to go travelling. My head of sixth form just had a go at me for missing last lesson yesterday in front of the entire common room - I mean, I miss 1 lesson an get done for it? Not even by the subject teacher? Has it not occured to them there actually might be a reason I wasn't there?

I'm sick of all the *****ing about people and I just want to go somewhere I can disappear into the background...
    Fo the sake of a few teachers and some people you dislike, you're prepared to go through this massive hassle fo changing 6th form in the middle of your A-Levels?

It's a terrible decision and not worth it one bit - For Uni application, syllabus content/clashes/problems and the trouble of settling in with only 1 year left.

ReputationRep:
    These are meant to be some of the best years of my life. If I stay at my current school things won't get any better, if I move they might. What have I got to loose?

So no, I can't stick it out for another year because it's a place I spend a lot of time in. I bet if I had to walk in there and tell my head of year I wanted to move he'd all of a sudden be my best mate - my school is so crap all they care about is getting people in the paper. I'm not jus some trophy student who does well and gets them prestige...
    Just cut to the chase - You want to move 6th form because you don't have many friends there, yes?

ReputationRep:
    Just cut to the chase - You want to move 6th form because you don't have many friends there, yes?
    Yes, it's filled with asses for the most part.

ReputationRep:
    not worth it one bit - For Uni application, syllabus content/clashes/problems and the trouble of settling in with only 1 year left.
    i agree-ish!
    by the time you settle in..it's time to move out! and it's less than a year if u think abt it with summer and all. i don't regret not moving at all!! that has been the best decision ive ever made i think!
    anyway, i think you should think about it....u will always come across people u can't stand...just gotta learn to shrug it off i guess?

who cares? i only had about six GOOD friends in my small sixth form compared to my sisters who think it is cool to be popular, still had good times though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p8224)
    YES!! i wanted to switch schools after my AS but there were too many complications with exam boards and stuff. just some things to think about....would your new school be able to write u a nice reference when u apply to uni..having only known you for a few mnths?
    is your current school gonna give u a leaving cert? coz mine didn't want to and so ppl would have thought i was expelled or something.
    They wouldn't write me a nice reference anyway - I'd get a better one with a fresh start. I was nearly chucked out of school in year 9, not that I was there that much, but my head of year is a discriminating git.

ReputationRep:
    Mine's probably worse, I've hated it since day 1, yet I've stuck it out for 4 years.

i'm giving you good advice, please don't ignore it and think I'm trying to be harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Mine's probably worse, I've hated it since day 1, yet I've stuck it out for 4 years.

i'm giving you good advice, please don't ignore it and think I'm trying to be harsh.
    Your advice is good, I know, it's just that I don't want it to be true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYaZZZ)
    who cares? i only had about six GOOD friends in my small sixth form compared to my sisters who think it is cool to be popular, still had good times though
    If he had 6 good friends, he wouldn't want to be leaving.

If he had 6 good friends, he wouldn't want to be leaving.
    so wat, you go to school to learn right? out of 5 of the 6 hours you are in lessons listening to wat teachers say, not talking to friends

ReputationRep:
    Your advice is good, I know, it's just that I don't want it to be true.
    Believe me, if someone could tell me "I can enalbe you to change 6th forms with no problems and no problems with the syllabus", I'd give them an arm and a leg.

You have less than 1 year left.

September until May - That is 8 months

That is less than 3/4 of a year.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.