Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I did this paper from 2014 however, some of my answers don't match with the mark scheme's answer but it does match the other mark scheme posted by someone else (Arsey I think?).

So for question 8c) of this paper , I got 54s but the mark scheme is 126s ( if 126 is the right answer, please can someone explain?) https://3b0a7b1bc87f5381e60f8f717510...%20Edexcel.pdf

Also, my answer for question 4 doesn't match the mark scheme either as I got something like 0.8 and 0.6 as my final answer.Can anyone clarify ? Thanks,.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Hi, I did this paper from 2014 however, some of my answers don't match with the mark scheme's answer but it does match the other mark scheme posted by someone else (Arsey I think?).

So for question 8c) of this paper , I got 54s but the mark scheme is 126s ( if 126 is the right answer, please can someone explain?) https://3b0a7b1bc87f5381e60f8f717510...%20Edexcel.pdf
    The markscheme is not saying the the answer is 126. You are meant to note the symmetry of your graph and say that there are two points where the velocity is the same, at t =54 and by symmetry, at t = 126, this should come of no surprise to you as the "same speeds" are represented by the intersections of your velocity-time graphs for each train and there are two such points.

ReputationRep:

Also, my answer for question 4 doesn't match the mark scheme either as I got something like 0.8 and 0.6 as my final answer.Can anyone clarify ? Thanks,.
    How can you get a number as your final answer when it says give your answer in terms of \mu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    How can you get a number as your final answer when it says give your answer in terms of \mu?
    Hi, i mean 0.8 and 0.6 is part of my answer it is something like 0.8u-0.6/0.6mu-0.8 something like that. But the mark schme has 3 and 4 as part of their answer not o.6 or 0.8. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    The markscheme is not saying the the answer is 126. You are meant to note the symmetry of your graph and say that there are two points where the velocity is the same, at t =54 and by symmetry, at t = 126, this should come of no surprise to you as the "same speeds" are represented by the intersections of your velocity-time graphs for each train and there are two such points.
    I get it now thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i mean 0.8 and 0.6 is part of my answer it is something like 0.8u-0.6/0.6mu-0.8 something like that. But the mark schme has 3 and 4 as part of their answer not o.6 or 0.8. Thanks
    Ahhh, what happens when you simplify that by multiplying top and bottom of the fraction by 3 or 4?

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh, what happens when you simplify that by multiplying top and bottom of the fraction by 3 or 4?
    If I multiply the fraction by 4 it will just cancel the 4 in the fraction, this still wouldn't give me anything close to 0.8 or 0.6. Also the mark scheme specifies that this has to be the only answer. So I don't really get what's wrong with my answer.

ReputationRep:
    If I multiply the fraction by 4 it will just cancel the 4 in the fraction, this still wouldn't give me anything close to 0.8 or 0.6. Also the mark scheme specifies that this has to be the only answer. So I don't really get what's wrong with my answer.
    Can you show me a picture of your working?

ReputationRep:
    Can you show me a picture of your working?
    I did this a few days ago and can't actually find it now but I got the same answer as arsey I think that's his name. https://googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqB...%20Edexcel.pdf It's question 4 I am on about, we both got a difrrent answer to the one in the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    I did this a few days ago and can't actually find it now but I got the same answer as arsey I think that's his name. https://googledrive.com/host/0B1ZiqB...%20Edexcel.pdf It's question 4 I am on about, we both got a difrrent answer to the one in the mark scheme
    Surely it's the same thing as the markscheme?

\displaystyle k = \frac{0.8 \mu + 0.6}{0.8 + 0.6 \mu} \times \frac{5}{5} = \frac{4 \mu + 3}{4 + 3\mu}.

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's the same thing as the markscheme?

\displaystyle k = \frac{0.8 \mu + 0.6}{0.8 + 0.6 \mu} \times \frac{5}{5} = \frac{4 \mu + 3}{4 + 3\mu}.
    Oh okay. Why did they multiply it by 5 ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. Why did they multiply it by 5 ?
    To make it look neater.

ReputationRep:
    To make it look neater.
    So does it mean I won't get the last mark because my answer is not exactly the same as the one in the mark schme cuz it said specifically. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    So does it mean I won't get the last mark because my answer is not exactly the same as the one in the mark schme cuz it said specifically. Thanks
    It doesn't say specifically. It says the exact opposite. Can you see the "oe" at the end of the answer in the "notes" section of the markscheme? That means "or equivalent" and since your answer certainly is equivalent, then you'd get the mark.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't say specifically. It says the exact opposite. Can you see the "oe" at the end of the answer in the "notes" section of the markscheme? That means "or equivalent" and since your answer certainly is equivalent, then you'd get the mark.
    Ok thx

ReputationRep:
    Ok thx
    Cheers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.