Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

how much money to take to festivals? watch

ReputationRep:
    i'm off to t in the park next friday as my first proper full festival (went to V for a day in 2002) and i was planning on taking £100 spending money for food etc (transport costs are already sorted). is this a sensible amount? do you recommend carrying it or having a card? (all i seem to remember from V apart from the bands was spending 3/4 hour queuing to draw money out!)

also any general festival survival tips apart from the obvious "take sunscreen, a tent and beer" kind of thing would be most appreciated! especially ones that apply to girls, most festival guides seem to be male orientated and end up trailing off, talking about all the fit girls :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    i'm off to t in the park next friday as my first proper full festival (went to V for a day in 2002) and i was planning on taking £100 spending money for food etc (transport costs are already sorted). is this a sensible amount? do you recommend carrying it or having a card? (all i seem to remember from V apart from the bands was spending 3/4 hour queuing to draw money out!)

also any general festival survival tips apart from the obvious "take sunscreen, a tent and beer" kind of thing would be most appreciated! especially ones that apply to girls, most festival guides seem to be male orientated and end up trailing off, talking about all the fit girls :rolleyes:
    i think £100 should be more than enough - that lasted me at all the festivals ive been to, there are always cash machines too, so if you do get caught out you dont need to worry about anything except for the queue.
    things i reccomend to take:

- a big bottle of water - its very expensive there!
    - a washing up bowl - in the morning you can brush your teeth, shave, wash your face or even wash your hair without leaving your tent. you can also clean mugs etc up
    - toilet paper - there never is any
    - a waterproof
    - an air bed lol - you dont have to but its sooooo comfortable!
    - wellys
    - black bin bags and duck tape - that way you can clear up your mess, or basically step inside the bin bags and duck tape the top to your thigh when its rainy if you dont have any trainers

i cant think of much more off the top of my head

ReputationRep:
    oh yeh and was regards to money etc - i personally took all my money with me but it is a good idea to spread it out - like hiding it in tissues or bags or in pillow cases etc just make sure you remember.

try to make your tent look as messy as possible inside - it deters theives. and avoid placing everything in a bag at the bottom of your tent or inside your sleeping bag becasue theives will just grab the bag and its contents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlord)
    oh yeh and was regards to money etc - i personally took all my money with me but it is a good idea to spread it out - like hiding it in tissues or bags or in pillow cases etc just make sure you remember.

try to make your tent look as messy as possible inside - it deters theives. and avoid placing everything in a bag at the bottom of your tent or inside your sleeping bag becasue theives will just grab the bag and its contents.
    That's good advice - although I don't think it's necessary to 'try' to make a tent look messy - at least it wasn't for us at Reading last year!!

Another thing, if you buy firewood when you're there, DON'T leave it outside your tent... an obvious thing at the moment, yes, but when you're pissed and trying to make room to get in said messy tent, throwing it outside seems a good option. Leave it in your tent. Stays dry, and stops people nicking it. (yes, someone nicked our newly bought firewood. Not impressed.)

Other essentials to take:

Baby wipes or wet wipes of some description. Took them to Reading and used them all up cleaning ourselves up.
    A wooly hat. It gets bloody cold in the middle of the night (specially when you can't get a fire going lol)
    A Blanket. Good for laying on in the tent, or just huddling up in.
    A first aid kit. Mumsy-ish and boring, yes. But essential for inevitable injuries (I ended up bandaging a mates ankle as she got trampled in a mosh)
    Condoms. It's a festival. Need I say more. lol *

*This comes from the experience of having some drunk guy stumbling around the area we were camping in yelling "Has anyone got a johnny? I need a johnny I forgot my fu**ing johnys!" - so even if you don't personally use them, they could come in handy! lol

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your help guys... also would anyone (well, girls) recommend those things you can get to pee in a tent with? those bag things? i think pencil queen was talking about them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    thanks for your help guys... also would anyone (well, girls) recommend those things you can get to pee in a tent with? those bag things? i think pencil queen was talking about them?
    lol

i mentioned them before

amazing, they were sold at Reading

lets just say i do not reccomend festival toilets

oh and £100 is enough, or more than enough even, festival food is very expensive though, but what else will you buy?

just be t-shirts wont it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serious narb)
    lol

i mentioned them before

amazing, they were sold at Reading

lets just say i do not reccomend festival toilets

oh and £100 is enough, or more than enough even, festival food is very expensive though, but what else will you buy?

just be t-shirts wont it?
    are they good for girls or not?

might indulge in one or 2 t-shirts, yes
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The pee bags were amazing - although I don't accept their claims of holding 3 wees...maybe I just wee a lot but they didn't seem to hold more than 1 and a half (good idea to practise stopping mid flow ).

They were a god send - the last thing you want to do when you wake up in a tent is pull on tonnes of clothes/wellies etc and trudge across a field to queue for dodgy loos.

A cheaper option is a bottle and a funnel...or a bottle and good aim (which is what I did at last yrs glasto).

Don't know if it's all turdis's at T in the park but I personally cannot stand them...the long drops at glasto are much nicer (once you've got over the odd sensation of the wind blowing up onto your bum...and of course know better than to look down)

I took baby wipes and some multi purpose antibacterial wipes - very good idea if there aren't great handwashing facilities at the loos and you're likely to be eating with your hands.

Take a whole roll of binbags and some gaffer tape - keep dry and emergency tent repairs.

If it's likely to rain then get your tent out in advance and smother the thing in fabsil to waterproof it (and get some good seam sealer from a camping shop) - did this for glasto and even though the inner tent was touching the fly sheet I didn't get any leaks - but it does mean you tent takes longer to dry out.

Wooly hat is a must. And if you buy any newspapers/magazines etc put them under your air matress (I've got a millets "back packers" air mattress, it's small doesn't weigh much and takes 5 minutes to blow up...cost £15) also if you've got one lying around space blankets are really handy - stick em under you while you sleep and bung em in your bag for the night times.

If it's going to be muddy wellies and waterproof trousers are worthwhile...and wellies don't keep your feet warm so take tonnes of socks.

Keep your clothes in bin bags so they don't get damp.

Talc = dry shampoo...gets rid of grease very well just brush it through.

Take a headscarf to hide you hair though because it will look rough after a few days (although this is probably only relevent if you're going to be there for more than 2/3 days).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Oh and money wise - I always take enough for £50 a day and end up spending more like £25...I always take too much rather than too little. Fold your notes up and wrap em in clingfilm and bung em in your shoes while you're out and about in the day (apart from that days cash).

Don't take more than one card and have a record of the number and the phone number to cancel it somewhere.

Write your initials and your postcode in marker pen on your tent, sleeping bag, rucksack and mattress (and anything else).

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.