Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How would you integrate

2x^2/(1+x) ?

Attempted to use partial fractions but not successful ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon2016)
    How would you integrate

2x^2/(1+x) ?

Attempted to use partial fractions but not successful ?
    Long division. You should get \frac{2x^2 }{1+x} = 2x  - \frac{2x}{1+x} then long division on the second fraction as well.

ReputationRep:
    substitution?

u=1+x

ReputationRep:
    How exactly would long division work with polynomials ? The X in the numerator cant cancel out ?

(Original post by Zacken)
    Long division. You should get \frac{2x^2 }{1+x} = 2x  - \frac{2x}{1+x} then long division on the second fraction as well.
    The textbook does this http://imgur.com/a/ABxPl

Not sure what method they followed ?

ReputationRep:
    How exactly would long division work with polynomials ? The X in the numerator cant cancel out ?

The textbook does this http://imgur.com/a/ABxPl

Not sure what method they followed ?
    What they've done is \frac{2x^2}{1+x} = \frac{2x^2 + 2x - 2x}{1 +x} = \frac{2x(x+1) - 2x}{1+x} = \frac{2x(1+x)}{1+x} - \frac{2x}{1+x} = 2x - \frac{2x}{1+x}

No perform the same 'trick' or 'technique' on the second fraction by 2x = 2x + 2 - 2  = 2(1+x) - 2

ReputationRep:
    What they've done is \frac{2x^2}{1+x} = \frac{2x^2 + 2x - 2x}{1 +x} = \frac{2x(x+1) - 2x}{1+x} = \frac{2x(1+x)}{1+x} - \frac{2x}{1+x} = 2x - \frac{2x}{1+x}

No perform the same 'trick' or 'technique' on the second fraction by 2x = 2x + 2 - 2  = 2(1+x) - 2
    wow thats amazing, I would never have thought of doing that in the exam ! thanks so much.

Out of curiosity, are there any clear things to look for , so you know which integration technique to use ? from partial, sub and by parts ?

ReputationRep:
    wow thats amazing, I would never have thought of doing that in the exam ! thanks so much.

Out of curiosity, are there any clear things to look for , so you know which integration technique to use ? from partial, sub and by parts ?
    The thing is, here - long division and substitution would have worked as well as just this basic simplification. You might want to learn "long division for polynomials" so you're able to do what I did in my previous post but without it requiring any creative thought and it's a lot more systematic.

You tend to get used to what technique to use once you've done enough practice; normally IBP is when you have a product of two functions where each is easy integrable/differentiable but put together they aren't, etc...

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, here - long division and substitution would have worked as well as just this basic simplification. You might want to learn "long division for polynomials" so you're able to do what I did in my previous post but without it requiring any creative thought and it's a lot more systematic.

You tend to get used to what technique to use once you've done enough practice; normally IBP is when you have a product of two functions where each is easy integrable/differentiable but put together they aren't, etc...
    What about partial fractions ?
    Could we have used partial fractions for the above question ?

ReputationRep:
    What about partial fractions ?
    Could we have used partial fractions for the above question ?
    Well, no - you can only use partial fractions when there is more than one factor in the denominator. But all you have here is (1+x) in the denominator, which you can't do anything with, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Well, no - you can only use partial fractions when there is more than one factor in the denominator. But all you have here is (1+x) in the denominator, which you can't do anything with, unfortunately.
    what about e^ root(x) / root(x)

My textbook does it by Integration by substitution, but the fact is has two terms, suggested to me it should be Integration by parts ?

ReputationRep:
    what about e^ root(x) / root(x)

My textbook does it by Integration by substitution, but the fact is has two terms, suggested to me it should be Integration by parts ?
    You can do it by parts, if you want: u = e^{\sqrt{x}} \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrn{d}u}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{e^{\sqrt{x}}}{2\sqrt{x}}.

And \mathrm{d}v = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \Rightarrow v= 2\sqrt{x}.

And that would work out fine.

ReputationRep:
    You can do it by parts, if you want: u = e^{\sqrt{x}} \Rightarrow \frac{\mathrn{d}u}{\mathrm{d}x} = \frac{e^{\sqrt{x}}}{2\sqrt{x}}.

And \mathrm{d}v = \frac{1}{\sqrt{x}} \Rightarrow v= 2\sqrt{x}.

And that would work out fine.
    ah right thanks, it didnt occur to me

I thought about what you said about being creative

Is this a legitimate maths rearranging technique http://i.imgur.com/i1kWglN.jpg ie multpiply numerator and denominator by 2

ReputationRep:

Is this a legitimate maths rearranging technique http://i.imgur.com/i1kWglN.jpg ie multpiply numerator and denominator by 2
    Very much so! You learnt about this technique in middle school, I'm sure. How do you add \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4}. Well, you take the \frac{1}{2} and multiplied the numerator and denominator by 2 to get \frac{2}{4}. So that you could write \frac{1}{2} + \frac{1}{4}  = \frac{2}{4} + \frac{1}{4} = \frac{3}{4}.

So, to answer your question, yes: what you've done is valid.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.