Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At 25 I already feel old and very reflective Watch

I got to say at 25 I feel old! I really feel like my 'youth' is behind me. When I tell this to people they tell me that I'm young and sometimes react with bemusement. Maybe it's depression? I don't know.

I guess a number have things have changed to when I was say 23 for example. From physical things to starting to lose my hair! and some muscular issues which are minor, to lifestyle changes such as the erosion of my drinking habits and going out culture, to greater pressures such as university and a very high pressure job, to my family moving away from my home city leaving me with the realisation that I'm on my own now in London, to changing friendships, to me growing up in some ways and realising some more important goals in life such as building savings for a potential pad and finding a girlfriend. This whole process makes me feel a bit sad in a sense because whilst on the surface I am doing well at uni, and have an excellent grad job after lined up - I just feel empty inside.

With all these changes I have mentioned, I am changing and growing and I think starting to realise who I truly am growing into. That person in itself is not bad but I don't have the people around me that I want (the right friends, a girlfriend, family moving away). I feel like I mean nothing to noone kind of thing.

I just feel damn old! So much stress and growing up and very little happiness. Ii feel like the concept of 'youth' is leaving me with every day. Any other 25 year somethings out there feeling old?

ReputationRep:
    You're not alone. I'm 26 and feel the same.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 26 and feel totally fine. It's sad that you feel the way you do. I suggest you look for cause of this (missing family maybe?) and work on that...

ReputationRep:
    Got the opposite problem feel like everyone else is doing the grown up thing and I've stalled in childhood it's not my fault though a lot of it is down to unfortunate circumstances really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I got to say at 25 I feel old! I really feel like my 'youth' is behind me. When I tell this to people they tell me that I'm young and sometimes react with bemusement. Maybe it's depression? I don't know.

I guess a number have things have changed to when I was say 23 for example. From physical things to starting to lose my hair! and some muscular issues which are minor, to lifestyle changes such as the erosion of my drinking habits and going out culture, to greater pressures such as university and a very high pressure job, to my family moving away from my home city leaving me with the realisation that I'm on my own now in London, to changing friendships, to me growing up in some ways and realising some more important goals in life such as building savings for a potential pad and finding a girlfriend. This whole process makes me feel a bit sad in a sense because whilst on the surface I am doing well at uni, and have an excellent grad job after lined up - I just feel empty inside.

With all these changes I have mentioned, I am changing and growing and I think starting to realise who I truly am growing into. That person in itself is not bad but I don't have the people around me that I want (the right friends, a girlfriend, family moving away). I feel like I mean nothing to noone kind of thing.

I just feel damn old! So much stress and growing up and very little happiness. Ii feel like the concept of 'youth' is leaving me with every day. Any other 25 year somethings out there feeling old?
    (Original post by Mauryan)
    You're not alone. I'm 26 and feel the same.
    Something to look forward soon then

ReputationRep:

What course are you studying and what's your graduate job?

(Original post by Toto123)
    What course are you studying and what's your graduate job?
    Study economics with politics and my career graduate job after I graduate is in investment banking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmc:producer)
    I'm 26 and feel totally fine. It's sad that you feel the way you do. I suggest you look for cause of this (missing family maybe?) and work on that...
    how do yeh work on missing family?

ReputationRep:
    I'm 21 and in the last 6 months, i've developed a beer belly, started wearing a shirt and wool pullover around the house, getting up for a cup of tea and a slice of toast in the middle of the night and yesterday was invited out to drinks and turned it down because drinking now gives me a headache.

If you feel old at 26, I'll probably be ready to go to a hospice by then.

ReputationRep:

Hi, I am 30 years old, my life wasn't perfect either, I failed my education in school, I had more problems than you. But I am saved myself by planning my life how I wish to continue it, I do exercise by running outside at 06:00 am until 09:00 am, I come home to have a shower and eat something and than go to Library as to study for my GCSE's in Maths, English, Physics, I am going to college this year as to do Access to to higher education to Computing, its for 1 year, afterwards I am planning to go University as to study for Web Development in Worcester. I spend reading books in shakespears, poetry, historicals and most I love reading the Vintage Classical books as I am interested in them, I also listen to audio books in British Literature. Forget about having a girlfriend now as its useless, study is more important for your life, please you must stop drinking alcohol as it will make you more depressed and stress, this is why you are loosing your hairs. I never like to hear from people that their old. Old doesn't exist, it never was but you are mind thinks as you make a target that you are willing to push your mind in negative thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    I've felt this way for a long while. I know I've seen and experienced more than most people ever do and now I'm kinda bored and helpless feeling because of it. Hoping that coming to uni (one of the few things missing from my checklist of life) that I will find whatever it is my mind is looking for.

ReputationRep:
    I feel te opposite way like when will i grow up

Me in 5 years time. Jeez.

Btw. What do you mean by youth, you don't need to be young to be happy. There are many alternatives you can do!

- travelling
    - participate in sport activities
    - adopt a dog?

My perception of the world when I was younger was much different, I thought mainly of positives, how great it would be to get a job and buy myself things, etc etc but it's not the same. It's not always easy to get what you want but if you try really hard and put some effort in I believe you can achieve almost anything.

Accept who you are and your age because you can't rewind. You can only go forward.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm turning 27. You just have to make the most of it since you can't turn back time. I feel as though I haven't really done everything I wanted to by this age, but it's never too late.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Turning 25 this summer, same feelings.

ReputationRep:

God dam dude i'm only 17 and my learning is a mess >.>

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.