Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language AS level NEW SPEC! Language and gender help! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am currently undertaking the new AS English Language and I am finding it bloody difficult-in particular the language and gender questions and the opinion article!
    So in short has anyone done this before and can send me old work you've done/model answers/give general advice on how to tackle these questions.

I remember all the theories/theorists completely but am not sure how to apply them alongside your standard analysis in a question like : What is the significance of gender in this interaction.

This may seem like an unclear question so my other request is if there is any one who is currently taking it and would like to revise at some point-give me a message.

I got an A an GSCE for it but this is a very different application of skills for this AS level.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Hi

I've moved your post to the English thread where it's more likely to get an answer.

Good luck with your exam.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya

I'm also taking AS English language, new spec, and gender is my best topic! You'd just mention features of women's speech for example (such as the deficit model), apply it to the text, use the appropriate linguistic terminology and say how significant the theory is.

And yeah, if you need to revise, PM me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattvb)
    Hi everyone,

I am currently undertaking the new AS English Language and I am finding it bloody difficult-in particular the language and gender questions and the opinion article!
    So in short has anyone done this before and can send me old work you've done/model answers/give general advice on how to tackle these questions.

I remember all the theories/theorists completely but am not sure how to apply them alongside your standard analysis in a question like : What is the significance of gender in this interaction.

This may seem like an unclear question so my other request is if there is any one who is currently taking it and would like to revise at some point-give me a message.

I got an A an GSCE for it but this is a very different application of skills for this AS level.
    Are you doing the IAL English ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Welcome Squad
    Hi everyone,

Is it AQA?

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Hi! I will send you an essay I did for language and gender? I am usually in the 2nd top band/pushing into the top band...it is difficult because the exam board want you to explain the theories but also sway towards one argument more. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low this year, considering it is the first because they have said they don't know explicitly what they even want!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesskr)
    Hi! I will send you an essay I did for language and gender? I am usually in the 2nd top band/pushing into the top band...it is difficult because the exam board want you to explain the theories but also sway towards one argument more. Hopefully the grade boundaries will be low this year, considering it is the first because they have said they don't know explicitly what they even want!
    There's more reward for considering wider variables than just gender, as far as I can tell from the mark scheme. If you know some research and a couple of case studies, you're probably in Level 3. If you can look at competing theories and arguments, that's probably Level 4 and to hit Level 5 you need to show an overview of the different arguments.

If you can get beyond the notion that gender controls speech or that there are basic differences between the genders' speech styles, that will help, because the kinds of approaches at the top end are about recognising "heterogeneity", repertoire and performance: all ideas that owe more to linguists like Eckert and Cameron than Tannen, Lakoff and Spender.

Worth mugging up on many of the ideas here, here and here, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merkatron)
    There's more reward for considering wider variables than just gender, as far as I can tell from the mark scheme. If you know some research and a couple of case studies, you're probably in Level 3. If you can look at competing theories and arguments, that's probably Level 4 and to hit Level 5 you need to show an overview of the different arguments.

If you can get beyond the notion that gender controls speech or that there are basic differences between the genders' speech styles, that will help, because the kinds of approaches at the top end are about recognising "heterogeneity", repertoire and performance: all ideas that owe more to linguists like Eckert and Cameron than Tannen, Lakoff and Spender.

Thank you I will have a look at those ideas you mentioned!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by merkatron)

Please could you give me some details about Eckert's findings?! That would be really appreciated thank you.

ReputationRep:
    Please could you give me some details about Eckert's findings?! That would be really appreciated thank you.
    This is one of the main papers, but it's not an easy read. The section on Eckert here is more readable, though.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    I am also really struggling revising for this exam, any revision resources anyone has would be greatly appreciated thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    If I'm corect in assuming that you're doing the same paper as me we're looking at not just gender, but occupation, social group, dialect and gender too right?
    So..Hw I would approach this question is as follows:
    Use your knowledge on theorist to build on your confident points..
    I would have, before you go into the exam, questions that you should be answering your essay like :
    -How does language differ in men and women?
    -Do stereotypes affect men and womens behaviour in language?
    -Are men more dominant when speaking to women?
    -Do men fight for relative status or do they cooperate like women?

So, when I did my mock I chose the gender question because it had several statistics to answer the issues/questions above. of course there are tons and tons of questions to be thinking about when associated with gender and language but these, in my opinion are the easiest to develop your answer to get into a level 5 answer. There was one piece of evidence in a table- which I can't remember , that stated that women were interrupted less than men.

I follow the PEE structure but just in more detail:
    POINT- CONCEPT/ISSUE RELATED TO GENDER ETC.
    EVIDENCE
    EXPLANATION WITH LEXIS/GRAMMAR
    THEORIST
    SUPPORTING/ OPPOSING THOERIST
    PERSONAL EXPERIENCE/ OPINION - you've got to bring in wider issues, not just gender TO GET THE TOP BAND, it's a springboard. You can conclude your point with the idea that social group/dialect/occupation afects gender just as much as gender or not at all!! HOWEVER, It's got to make sense.
    Remember to GUIDE THE READER to get into level 5.

So I made my POINT:: Gender does in fact affect a person in their use of langage (link to the question) because... Men are stereotypically renowned to interrupt for relative status (terminology here/ wider issues)..
    EVIDENCE: In the investigation/ text this supports this as it states that.. 'quote'... (if it's relevant, explode lexis and grammar to put in alternative ideas to show that you're not just looking at your own ideas, but wider issues that may not be obvious- IMPRESS THE EXAMINER)
    EXPLANATION: This depicts women to be ... This depicts men to be ...
    THEORIST: which is further supported by theorists such as.. 'theorist in detail with relevant lexis and vocab'...
    ADDITIONAL THEORIST: However, this concept can be easily defeated by 'another theorist' - this is where your personal research should be very useful, KNOKW YOUR THEORISTS BACK TO FRONT! Know where, when and how they conducted their investigation. It's no use just knowing a name. If you know the theorist well, you can compare and contrast easily
    OPINION:This is why... Personally... 'you could use college experienes, maybe eating in the canteen to show that social groups also affect gender?

The final paragraph makes the essay flow so practice the way in which you end your sentences. It should be open for you to expand and easily deelop your ideas. I got 28/30 in my mock and I made this structure up myself. It's so mcuch easier!! It helped me not panic and stay focused on what I do know rather than
    what I don't know
    I'd use about 8 theorists just to really show off your knowledge of the concepts/ issues of language. Good, easy theorists are :
    Robin Lakoff
    Deborah Tannen
    Deborah Cameron
    Eakins and Eakins
    Edelsky
    Obar and Atkins
    Dale Spender

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_1)
    Hi,
    If I'm corect in assuming that you're doing the same paper as me we're looking at not just gender, but occupation, social group, dialect and gender too right?
    I would have, before you go into the exam, questions that you should be answering your essay like :

So, when I did my mock I chose the gender question because it had several statistics to answer the issues/questions above. of course there are tons and tons of questions to be thinking about when associated with gender and language but these, in my opinion are the easiest to develop your answer to get into a level 5 answer. There was one piece of evidence in a table- which I can't remember , that stated that women were interrupted less than men.

EVIDENCE
    THEORIST
    PERSONAL EXPERIENCE/ OPINION - you've got to bring in wider issues, not just gender TO GET THE TOP BAND, it's a springboard. You can conclude your point with the idea that social group/dialect/occupation afects gender just as much as gender or not at all!! HOWEVER, It's got to make sense.

So I made my POINT:: Gender does in fact affect a person in their use of langage (link to the question) because... Men are stereotypically renowned to interrupt for relative status (terminology here/ wider issues)..
    EVIDENCE: In the investigation/ text this supports this as it states that.. 'quote'... (if it's relevant, explode lexis and grammar to put in alternative ideas to show that you're not just looking at your own ideas, but wider issues that may not be obvious- IMPRESS THE EXAMINER)
    THEORIST: which is further supported by theorists such as.. 'theorist in detail with relevant lexis and vocab'...
    ADDITIONAL THEORIST: However, this concept can be easily defeated by 'another theorist' - this is where your personal research should be very useful, KNOKW YOUR THEORISTS BACK TO FRONT! Know where, when and how they conducted their investigation. It's no use just knowing a name. If you know the theorist well, you can compare and contrast easily
    OPINION:This is why... Personally... 'you could use college experienes, maybe eating in the canteen to show that social groups also affect gender?

The final paragraph makes the essay flow so practice the way in which you end your sentences. It should be open for you to expand and easily deelop your ideas. I got 28/30 in my mock and I made this structure up myself. It's so mcuch easier!! It helped me not panic and stay focused on what I do know rather than
    what I don't know
    I'd use about 8 theorists just to really show off your knowledge of the concepts/ issues of language. Good, easy theorists are :
    Robin Lakoff
    Deborah Tannen
    Deborah Cameron
    Eakins and Eakins
    Edelsky
    Obar and Atkins
    Dale Spender

Good luck!
    This is so useful thank you! If it's not too much trouble do you think you could put up an example paragraph to make it more clear? Just so I can see how you lay it out more clearly! Don't worry if not though, this is useful enough as it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_1)
    Hi,

EVIDENCE
    THEORIST

what I don't know
    Robin Lakoff
    Deborah Tannen
    Deborah Cameron
    Eakins and Eakins
    Edelsky
    Obar and Atkins
    Dale Spender

Good luck!
    Thank you this is so helpful, best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    People of Student Room your feedback was super helpful (special thanks to Bella_1) but WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PAPER WE JUST SAT TODAY?!!!?!?

We surely all revised analysing data tables and transcripts and then AQA give us a poster/advert about girl power and a form about how someone in Teeside uses language??? Of course I attempted all questions and the opinion article went well I suppose but WHAT ON EARTH were AQA thinking leaving us in the lurch like that!!

I'm really intrigued to hear anyone's thoughts on how we got done over today by AQA-anything you have to say-post it!

I spoke to my teacher who was really shocked and said that she will have a word with the exam board to see what the confusion was.
    On the bright side it is linear and hopefully they sort themselves out next year when our result counts -this was absolutely irresponsible behaviour by AQA I cannot stress this enough-no one was told that Paper 2 would be in this format! Not even their specimen papers alluded that we would be marked in this way!Absolutely Scandalous

ReputationRep:
    People of Student Room your feedback was super helpful (special thanks to Bella_1) but WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT PAPER WE JUST SAT TODAY?!!!?!?

We surely all revised analysing data tables and transcripts and then AQA give us a poster/advert about girl power and a form about how someone in Teeside uses language??? Of course I attempted all questions and the opinion article went well I suppose but WHAT ON EARTH were AQA thinking leaving us in the lurch like that!!

I'm really intrigued to hear anyone's thoughts on how we got done over today by AQA-anything you have to say-post it!

I spoke to my teacher who was really shocked and said that she will have a word with the exam board to see what the confusion was.
    On the bright side it is linear and hopefully they sort themselves out next year when our result counts -this was absolutely irresponsible behaviour by AQA I cannot stress this enough-no one was told that Paper 2 would be in this format! Not even their specimen papers alluded that we would be marked in this way!Absolutely Scandalous
    I opened the paper and just rolled my eyes. I completely agree!! What the hell was that!?! Not confident at all in the first half but the question 3 wasn't too bad- not much text though which was useful as usual... Not!
    Yes they best sort it out next year!!!

ReputationRep:
    hey please could I see your essay too? I'm really struggling revision wise.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Could anyone please give me the Question paper & Mark Scheme of IAL English Language.
    The thing is currently I'm self-studying and I can't find anything about the question paper and mark scheme.
    I would really appreciate if someone can recommend me books that I should study for my preparation.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again people,

The post got a good response last time and got I a B at AS... the paper was unexpected to say the least.

For those doing A2, the final exam is coming up fast. Anyone fancy sharing tips on how to write answers for each paper or just any general advice from teachers/yourselves about structuring answers- people gave great advice last time so hopefully you're still out there...

English Language is notoriously tricky to revise for and to quote Tesco -every little helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.