Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all
    I have around 2 months to prepare for STEP III but I'm still not very good at it; in a paper, I can do around 2 questions on a good day (sometimes not even that) in 3 hours and still get stuck a lot. My issues are the following

- I'm still very slow at my algebra, differentiating and proving by induction large statements and functions takes a tremendous amount of time
    - I have trouble seeing certain factorizations, e.g. x^n - 1 = (x-1)(x^n-1 + ... + 1) and as a result make questions more complicated than they need to be, spending around an hour going down the wrong path. This happened at least twice now
    - My integration and coordinate geometry skills are terrible. Revising for FP3 though

Is there still a chance of improving my maths skills in these two months, or should I just forget about STEP III and focus on my other subjects? I don't need STEP III, but a decent grade in it could make up for a bad physics grade (which I'm even more hopeless at).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PressTabStart)

Is there still a chance of improving my maths skills in these two months, or should I just forget about STEP III and focus on my other subjects? I don't need STEP III, but a decent grade in it could make up for a bad physics grade (which I'm even more hopeless at).
    If you don't need STEP III, then definitely drop it and focus on your A-Levels, I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all
    I have around 2 months to prepare for STEP III but I'm still not very good at it; in a paper, I can do around 2 questions on a good day (sometimes not even that) in 3 hours and still get stuck a lot. My issues are the following

- I'm still very slow at my algebra, differentiating and proving by induction large statements and functions takes a tremendous amount of time
    - I have trouble seeing certain factorizations, e.g. x^n - 1 = (x-1)(x^n-1 + ... + 1) and as a result make questions more complicated than they need to be, spending around an hour going down the wrong path. This happened at least twice now
    - My integration and coordinate geometry skills are terrible. Revising for FP3 though

Focus on your other subjects if you do not need STEP III

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Focus on your other subjects if you do not need STEP III
    (Original post by Zacken)
    If you don't need STEP III, then definitely drop it and focus on your A-Levels, I'd say.
    Thanks, I won't drop it but I definitely won't consider it as important.

If it helps, I'm doing 3 A2s: maths, further maths and physics, I _have_ to take STEP I (which I find considerably easier now that I did lots of practice on it, after setting myself some mocks). My thinking is that any practice for STEP III is also practice for STEP I.
    Final question, is practice for STEP exams as important as mathematical aptitude? I know some exceptional people start off well on STEP papers but do people go from being bad to good? This is what really grills me

ReputationRep:

If it helps, I'm doing 3 A2s: maths, further maths and physics, I _have_ to take STEP I (which I find considerably easier now that I did lots of practice on it, after setting myself some mocks). My thinking is that any practice for STEP III is also practice for STEP I.
    Final question, is practice for STEP exams as important as mathematical aptitude? I know some exceptional people start off well on STEP papers but do people go from being bad to good? This is what really grills me
    Yeh you can learn spots/'aptitude' well I think you can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

STEP is a new way of thinking, approaching, and solving a problem. It is completely different to what you're used to. When you go to University and start maths there you'll see how different it is to A-level.

You will learn

ReputationRep:
    My thinking is that any practice for STEP III is also practice for STEP I.
    I would think that STEP I and STEP II is far better practice for STEP I than STEP III is due to the rather different syllabuses for those papers.

Most people go from bad to good. It is the minority who go from good to good.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.