Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Have I been sheltered from life, are people right? watch

Announcements

I'm female, woman said that I'm sheltered, naive and that it was a shame for me etc but I guess I just wanted opinions on here as I don't know what exactly it is that I'm naive with lol. Through my teens and early twenties I was anxious and had no friends so never went out. I still don't have close friends now and still live at home so I have lacked a social life ive never been drunk, smoked, been exposed to drugs or any of that stuff. I've also never had the urge for sex so haven't bothered with relationships.

However I've still had my own struggles to deal with. I didn't seek help for anxiety I just somehow overcome it by getting into sports, most mornings I would wake up with a weird/down feeling which made me feel on edge. I didn't have friends I'd just cry on my own and the fact that I wouldn't go into work caused many arguments with my parents. I fainted several times and that's when the anxiety started I'd be scared of fainting everytime I went out. Back at college I'd see my peers happy with a social life and I was very much ignored as I just didn't fit in and was very quiet, it's still the same now. I feel that everyone has the support of friends but I've always been/felt on my own.

My aunt got me into a job working as a nurse assistant on mental health wards for a while so I've seen lots of self harm, aggression, the direct affects of drugs etc. I've been on a medium secure unit people say they don't know how I could work there but I guess I'm quite laid back besides internal anxiety not much phases me. I am very quiet though and lack assertiveness. So although I've not been exposed to a social life I've seen things that others wouldn't see like self harm, attempted ligatures etc. I completed a degree in mental health which involved lots of placements but I'm working in a different field now. I just think is it fair of that woman to call me sheltered and naive? I'l admit I've not been exposed to much expecially through my teens but I don't know I'm kind of worried she is right as I don't have that much life experience still. I had a boyfriend and he said the same thing that I've been sheltered and don't know things that people my age should know. Most people seem settled down with their bf's but I'm still single.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is different, who cares honestly. Your life is no one else's business and as long as you're happy as you are, it doesn't really matter. You honestly won't really gain anything from the things you say you've 'missed out' on. Perhaps you'd enjoy them, but you've done just fine without them so, what's the big deal. If you really feel compelled now to try things and go a bit mad then do so, not like the world will end if you do or don't.

Just do what you wanna do.

ReputationRep:
    They sound like they're just trying to get to you. When I think 'sheltered' I think people who have never made a decision for themselves because they've let their parents to everything. You don't fit this. Honestly, there is so much more to life than drink, drugs and sex. If you don't need them to be happy then good for you. Don't let this person get to you, it sounds like you're doing a great job in life

(Original post by supernerdural)
    They sound like they're just trying to get to you. When I think 'sheltered' I think people who have never made a decision for themselves because they've let their parents to everything. You don't fit this. Honestly, there is so much more to life than drink, drugs and sex. If you don't need them to be happy then good for you. Don't let this person get to you, it sounds like you're doing a great job in life
    The boyfriend could have been trying to get to me but the woman just says things to others not expecting me to know about it. My life is different to others my age sonetimes i feel like a 14 year old when im arguing with family. Guess im just confused about what sheltered really is.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 28, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.