Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it impossible or highly improbably for non EU students to gain a training contract or vacation schemes in the UK. I wanted to know because I really want to practice in the UK instead of my home country. Otherwise I'll probably go to Canada. What kind of things can help increase the chances. Do you guys know any internationals who got TC or Vac schemes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsalanBac)
    Is it impossible or highly improbably for non EU students to gain a training contract or vacation schemes in the UK. I wanted to know because I really want to practice in the UK instead of my home country. Otherwise I'll probably go to Canada. What kind of things can help increase the chances. Do you guys know any internationals who got TC or Vac schemes?
    It is possible to get a training contract, but it would be really difficult, as you will be facing local students that don't need visa sponsorships nor extra expenses. Just know that the odds are against you, but it is not an impossible task.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_gravity)
    It is possible to get a training contract, but it would be really difficult, as you will be facing local students that don't need visa sponsorships nor extra expenses. Just know that the odds are against you, but it is not an impossible task.
    What kind of things would help me attain one?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    There are some students on here who have done it, but id thnk it is rare.
    It depends what sort firm you are after and whether you have any unique skills or experience.

You will obviously need to do well in interviews and in your degree. You have to ve vetter than the UK and EU candidates.

An EU passport might make it easier.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree with the previous commenter. It is pretty rare for an international student to gain a TC, but it's not impossible.

You will definitely have to prove why you are better than a UK or EU candidate and show what you can offer to them that is more exquisite than hiring someone else.

I also think it depends on the type of firm that you are applying for. I would assume that some international firms might be more willing to hire international students than smaller firms, given the availability of resources. Boutique firms might help too, but only if you are really knowledgeable in that field (that would most likely require a LLM).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.