Sparky2016
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What's the difference between a warm based and cold based glacier?
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
In warm based glaciers, the temperature of the ice at the base of the glacier is higher than the melting point of ice (0 degrees celsius), due to the friction caused by the movement of the glacier itself, or from geothermal heat from the Earth. The ice at the bottom of the glacier melts, and the meltwater acts as a lubricant, allowing the glacier to move more easily. The high rate of movement means that warm based glaciers have more erosive power than cold based glaciers.

In cold based glaciers, the temperature of the ice at the base of the glacier is lower than the melting point of ice, so very little, if any, melting occurs. The base of the glacier therefore remains frozen to the valley floor, and the lack of movement means that very little erosion occurs.

I hope that helps
Sparky2016
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Leviathan1741)
In warm based glaciers, the temperature of the ice at the base of the glacier is higher than the melting point of ice (0 degrees celsius), due to the friction caused by the movement of the glacier itself, or from geothermal heat from the Earth. The ice at the bottom of the glacier melts, and the meltwater acts as a lubricant, allowing the glacier to move more easily. The high rate of movement means that warm based glaciers have more erosive power than cold based glaciers.

In cold based glaciers, the temperature of the ice at the base of the glacier is lower than the melting point of ice, so very little, if any, melting occurs. The base of the glacier therefore remains frozen to the valley floor, and the lack of movement means that very little erosion occurs.

I hope that helps

Thank you !!
username2088165
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sparky2016)
Thank you !!
No problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (79)
26.96%
England (98)
33.45%
Belgium (26)
8.87%
Germany (37)
12.63%
Spain (5)
1.71%
Italy (22)
7.51%
Netherlands (8)
2.73%
Other (Tell us who) (18)
6.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise