Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it possible to meet the eligibility for credit cards on part time wages? watch

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Basically I earn about 6k before including overtime which at the moment I've been offered quite a bit of, and was wondering whether i'd be eligible for any credit cards in order to build my credit rating a bit?
    Currently on the electoral roll, just cancelled a student overdraft that was always sensibly used and the majority of out bills are in my name and always paid on time so it's the only thing left to do to improve my (fair to good apparently) credit rating.
    • TSR Group Staff
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    TSR Support Team
    Hi I think it will be fine what will happen is you may start of with a small limit on it like £500 but after about 6months of you using it and repaying it you can increase the limit. I started off with a £500 one and because I have used it loads and repay it every month when I get paid it has now been increased to £2,000
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    You need to shop around; but it's certainly possible. With mine for example, (Nationwide) the lower earning limit is £5k and they do count benefits (including DLA / PIP) towards that £5k.

If this was me, I'd make an appointment with the bank and discuss this.

I'm not going to go into my personal situation here; but I'm just on benefits and managed to get a credit card through my bank with no problems at all. I took my benefit letters as proof of income.

Whilst I was looking to change banks, I spoke to Halifax. I was aware (having talked to a friend) that they do a decent credit card. They again, told me the same. You don't need a bank account with Halifax to get their credit card.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by CrazyKittenLady)
    Hi I think it will be fine what will happen is you may start of with a small limit on it like £500 but after about 6months of you using it and repaying it you can increase the limit. I started off with a £500 one and because I have used it loads and repay it every month when I get paid it has now been increased to £2,000
    Thank you, that sounds quite hopeful If you dont mind me asking who did you go with?

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    You need to shop around; but it's certainly possible. With mine for example, (Nationwide) the lower earning limit is £5k and they do count benefits (including DLA / PIP) towards that £5k.

If this was me, I'd make an appointment with the bank and discuss this.

I'm not going to go into my personal situation here; but I'm just on benefits and managed to get a credit card through my bank with no problems at all. I took my benefit letters as proof of income.
    I had an appointment at my bank last week and as I m not a student anymore and didn't want to have a graduate account (i have an added value current account as its the only way to make money off savings really) unfortunately they reckoned i might not meet the eligibility criteria with my wages they have for all the other credit cards they offer, so i decided not to try.
    I will definitely shop around before putting an application in but I certainly feel more hopeful in getting one
    • TSR Group Staff
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    TSR Support Team
    I did mine with both santander and TSB, TSB was better though so I would recommend them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Basically I earn about 6k before including overtime which at the moment I've been offered quite a bit of, and was wondering whether i'd be eligible for any credit cards in order to build my credit rating a bit?
    Currently on the electoral roll, just cancelled a student overdraft that was always sensibly used and the majority of out bills are in my name and always paid on time so it's the only thing left to do to improve my (fair to good apparently) credit rating.
    yes my mum has a £10,000 credit card and only works 10 hours of voluntary work a week

ReputationRep:
    I'm with american express and they ask for a HOUSEHOLD income of at least £45k
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by shane-draper)
    Well i'll never get one from them :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shane-draper)
    Which Amex card is that!? Even the Platinum "only" has a £40k requirement, most are 20k.

ReputationRep:
    Just apply and say that you earn £X even if you don't, they can't check your earnings. They base any offers off of your previous credit history.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.