Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I recently decided I to reengage my brain and have decided to undertake a fast track A-level in Maths.

I'm 30, I'm British, but I live in Berlin. I work for myself, so my time is largely my own. All this lead me to think that a remote fast track A-level course online would be the most suitable option. I've found a few distance learning courses for around £300-£400.

Although I'm happy to pay this, I only want to do so if I'm getting support that makes the spend worthwhile. I'm very conscious these courses don't include examination costs, which could potentially double the price. I've also since come across some threads from people who have decided to study Maths entirely on their own and I'm starting to wonder this might be a better option - but first I wanted to make sure that it's viable.

My questions are: Have you studied Maths AS and A-level using an online course? If so, how was your experience, i.e. did you feel it was really worth the money, or did you think you were ripped off? Could you have managed just as well on your own?

Alternatively: Have you studied Maths AS and A-level on your own? If so, how was your experience of this? How did you find the correct syllabus? Did you feel prepared for the examinations? How were your results? What other thoughts/feedback/advice could you offer?

If I go down the online course route, recommendations for providers would also be welcome. On their websites, they all pretty much say the same stuff about quality and support, but all the costs seem pretty arbitrary, so its hard to know which, if any, is better.

Finally, on a more general note, I'd love to hear what books/ resources/ forums you could recommend for studying Maths on your own. Whichever option I choose, these will be useful. I'm keen for the challenge, so I'm not too worried about motivation, but I want to be sure that I'm suitably prepared for any examinations I might take next year.

Thanks for reading (and in advance for your invaluable advice!)

Yours cluelessly,

Will

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.