Turn on thread page Beta

mean things you were told when you decided you wanted to go to uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I decided uni was for me when I was 15 and my relatives told me how much they loved it when I told the careers advisor she said "you have no chance of going to uni you won't even get in to collage. (I have degree now)

one of my relatives also told me i don't expect you to pass your first year like a week before I went.

Have you ever been told anything like this?

ReputationRep:
    I was once told that I "talked a good game", but didn't deliver. Ouch that really hurt, and it still reverberates. Probably best piece of criticism I ever had, as it made me focus so much more on output. Well done on defying their expectations.

ReputationRep:
    "You'll never stand a chance at world class universities with a C at AS level"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonathanemptage)
    I decided uni was for me when I was 15 and my relatives too me how much they loved it when I told the careers advisor she said "you have no chance of going to uni you won't even get in to collage. (I have degree now)

one of my relatives also told me i don't expect you to pass your first year like a week before I went.

Have you ever been told anything like this?
    Convo went a bit like this:
    "Mum, I'm thinking about going to uni"
    "*****, first get A*'s in your GCSES and A-levels, then come back to me"
    "But mum, you don't need all A* in your GCS-"
    "Shut up, who's the elder here?"

All that without the swearing tbh, but nobody needs to know that :shh:
    Needless to say, my mum didn't go uni.

ReputationRep:
    The most general thing I was told that honestly shocked me before starting university is "Don't get your hopes up. You seem to think you're much better at things than you are." by a teacher. I still got an A in his class but he also kept making comments like he was going to try and make me beg to get the grade I deserved by asking "Remind me again what grades you need to get into university?" in a really smug way, as if to say, "The power of your future is in my hands, so be nice to me." It was infuriating.

The most comments I have received from people doing Bsc degrees are "Really? A BA? You may as well not go to uni if you're going to do one of those, pick a real degree like Maths/Science/Buisness etc." Or after learning the title of my degree "You're smart, couldn't you have picked something more impressive than that? You know you need to pick something actually worth getting into debt over right?"

A collective KYS to all these people.

ReputationRep:
    " You should apply for something other than Management as you'll never work in finance with your sense of style" - my ******** ex-stepdad. Little did he know I could change clothes and dye my hair back to a normal colour.
    I remember going for an interview for a placement and he said "You shouldn't get your hopes up as there are plenty of other people who could be better than you". Luckily I'm one of those people who when told they probably won't succeed, they just want it more. I went to the interview, got it there and then and later found out from someone who was due to interview later in the day that they even cancelled his interview after they met me.

The 10 years or so they were married that was pretty much my life. I refused to let him come to my graduation. Luckily my mum eventually saw who he really was and divorced him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllainKahlo)

The most comments I have received from people doing Bsc degrees are "Really? A BA? You may as well not go to uni if you're going to do one of those, pick a real degree like Maths/Science/Buisness etc."
    Wtf hahaha

Some universities offer a BA in Mathematics so they're telling you not to do a BA but to get a maths degree...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    Wtf hahaha

Some universities offer a BA in Mathematics so they're telling you not to do a BA but to get a maths degree...?
    Yep, logic. You can also do Sciences as BA degrees so their comments only make them look unintelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, logic. You can also do Sciences as BA degrees so their comments only make them look unintelligent.
    Exactly :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    My maths teacher at boarding school, year 13

"You better go find a job because you're not going to university. "

If I have kids I don't think I could send them to private school, he's singlehandedly tainted my view on them

ReputationRep:
    The most comments I have received from people doing Bsc degrees are "Really? A BA? You may as well not go to uni if you're going to do one of those, pick a real degree like Maths/Science/Buisness etc."
    This is a bit retarded. Cambridge offers a BA in mathematics; guess that's not a real degree like "maths" to them? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    This is a bit retarded. Cambridge offers a BA in mathematics; guess that's not a real degree like "maths" to them? :erm:
    Yes, by their reasoning. A lot of these individuals have a one track mind. If it isn't their degree, it's not a 'real' degree. It's just an easy one that anyone could do. That's stupid really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    XD

ReputationRep:
    " You'd never be accepted at a uni in England and even if you're accepted, you will not go as you're parents won't afford it"

Well that criticism made me work hard in As and till now, I really want to prove them wrong by getting a scholarship!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your average

ReputationRep:
    "what are you going to do in uni? get depressed again?"

..in the process of trying to change my offer to unconditional, but probably won't be able to go over even if I get a place bc the old man at home started a cold war over me getting pissed that he's constantly trying to find ways to call me fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    "You'll never stand a chance at world class universities with a C at AS level"

What was the C in?

What uni and course are you at/doing?

ReputationRep:
    If anything I didn't live up to expectation, I completely ignored people's advice about applying to Oxbridge and didn't :lol:

ReputationRep:
    "You want to do an Arts subject at university? What a waste of £27k! I'd rather see it go to a STEM student."

Some distant *****y relatives said this to me when they asked what I wanted to do at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by helpmekid)
    What was the C in?

What uni and course are you at/doing?
    The C was in a language. I'm doing engineering w/ language minor at uni in the us

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.