The Student Room Group

mean things you were told when you decided you wanted to go to uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student403
The C was in a language. I'm doing engineering w/ language minor at uni in the us

Which uni?
Original post by Student403
"You'll never stand a chance at world class universities with a C at AS level"

So they were right
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
"You want to do an Arts subject at university? What a waste of £27k! I'd rather see it go to a STEM student."

Some distant bitchy relatives said this to me when they asked what I wanted to do at uni.

pessimists.
Pretty much everyone thought I was lying about going to university in the UK....
"You want to do your maths GCSE early?"...... "You're wasting your parents money....."

Walked out of my maths class and cried, so glad that horrible teacher didn't totally smash my confidence because I got my C in the end during my A-level exams and got in to my first choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
After a full round of rejections first time round, my mum was pretty much adamant that I wouldn't get into med school this year either - even saying to my face that she couldn't see me being a doctor anyway. Used to do a lot of not-so-subtle talking with my sister behind my back about it as well.

3 offers later, she's gone surprisingly quiet.

Spoiler

I had the head of my Sixth Form tell me to leave and not bother with A-levels because she didn't think college was for me...

She was kind of right I guess: I was much happier at university, away from that toxic environment :lol:
I was told I had no chance of an Oxbridge offer due to my GCSEs and that my aspirations for the uni (and/or Medicine) were delusional.

The career's adviser said similar things :angry: when I asked about resitting my A-levels. I plan to send her a smug passive aggressive email if I meet my offer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Wasn't really told anything tbh. Even if I was, I'd blank it out, say 'screw you' and prove them wrong.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
I was told I had no chance of an Oxbridge offer due to my GCSEs and that my aspirations for the uni (and/or Medicine) were delusional.

The career's adviser said similar things :angry: when I asked about resitting my A-levels. I plan to send her a smug passive aggressive email if I meet my offer.

Just send her a "hi how are things" email from your @cam.ac.uk email XD That would be bantz
My parents have been nothing but supportive of what I want to do. However when I was still at college my tutor told me I wouldn't be smart enough to do it, even put in my UCAS reference lower grades than I had achieved.

My GCSE teachers as well said I'd never succeed in science but I done well and have my offer for Diagnostic Radiography.
Not going to uni, but my fifth grade teacher said I was rubbish at English. Guess I taught her a lesson.
My whole life I've wanted to go to Cambridge but my teachers and parents never believed in me and thought I wasn't smart enough to get in. My teachers were constantly attacking me, telling me I have no chance getting into university, let alone Cambridge if I keep misbehaving and missing work. Results day came and I got DDEE in media, general studies, critical thinking and hair and beauty respectively , WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?
Original post by jonathanemptage
I decided uni was for me when I was 15 and my relatives told me how much they loved it when I told the careers advisor she said "you have no chance of going to uni you won't even get in to collage. (I have degree now)

one of my relatives also told me i don't expect you to pass your first year like a week before I went.

Have you ever been told anything like this?

My teacher was the one who pretty much decided my career path for me at the same age as you. But it was my mother who shot me down (and continues to) by saying that my preferred career, something that i've dreamed of doing for many years, wasn't worth going to uni for and that i'll struggle because i'm finding it hard now at A Level.

Sometimes, families aren't worth it. I'm the only one who's trying to have confidence in myself now.
Original post by Daniel9998
My whole life I've wanted to go to Cambridge but my teachers and parents never believed in me and thought I wasn't smart enough to get in. My teachers were constantly attacking me, telling me I have no chance getting into university, let alone Cambridge if I keep misbehaving and missing work. Results day came and I got DDEE in media, general studies, critical thinking and hair and beauty respectively , WHO'S LAUGHING NOW ?

Gr8 b8 m8 i r8 8/8.
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx
My teacher was the one who pretty much decided my career path for me at the same age as you. But it was my mother who shot me down (and continues to) by saying that my preferred career, something that i've dreamed of doing for many years, wasn't worth going to uni for and that i'll struggle because i'm finding it hard now at A Level.

Sometimes, families aren't worth it. I'm the only one who's trying to have confidence in myself now.

Only person you can be certain of to look out for you is yourself.

What do you want to do?
I wanted to drop AS Further Maths earlier this year to just AS Maths, so instead of getting the extra AS Level, I could focus on my other subjects (mostly Biology, Chemistry) to increase my chances of getting into Medicine at Uni- but my Maths teachers had to 'let' me drop it, and give their consent. Now, the Further Maths class was shrinking at an alarming rate, as loads of people had dropped it and the teachers had consented to it, but with me, the teachers dug their heels in.

The classes we take at Sixth Form must fulfill a minimum quota of X number of students in order to get funding from the government, and our class was getting considerably smaller so I figure this was the reason for it.

They took me out of the class room in the middle of our double lesson and told me, that they didn't think I should drop, that having taken a look at my GCSE grades for Biology and Chemistry, there was no point, I could not get A Grades at AS. I was completely heartbroken and felt like they'd invaded my privacy, having gone on to scrutinise my GCSE grades to judge whether I could 'Science' or not. (Not even my AS report grades for those sciences). I'd looked up to these teachers, and they'd pretty much told me I'd had no chance of getting into Medicine, just so they could keep in their class so they wouldn't lose the funding for it.

Never mind that my Head of Sixth Form had already emailed all my Biology, Chemistry and Physics teachers to ask whether I had a good chance of getting As in their subjects, and they all replied in the affirmative. And that I was already getting As in Chemistry and was at an A/B in Biology.

But anyway, they had to let me go. They couldn't exactly keep me in that class against my will, and I had the power of the Head of Year on my side.
Original post by Kvothe the arcane

What were your GCSEs?

And congrats on getting an offer!

:woo:
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
Only person you can be certain of to look out for you is yourself.

What do you want to do?

True words there.
Languages at University
Original post by atiyaaloveszaynx

No sorry I was reminiscing I'm actually a graduate trying to decide if i can afford and if if i have the ability to do a PG dip at the moment so not quite as young as you think.

Good luck with your A level I'm sure you'll do fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending