AQA HIS3N- Aspects of International Relations 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    What everyone's thoughts on this exam?

ReputationRep:
    I have a few gaps in my knowledge, has anyone got any useful resources for the Cold War/International Relations?

ReputationRep:
    I really need some good revision resources for this. It's quite difficult to get complete but succinct resources.

ReputationRep:
    Feeling pretty good tbh.

There are some gaps in my knowledge so I've decided to make notes on the whole textbook.

My plan is to get my notes done asap and then just plan/do questions from every single past paper.

Hows everyone else feeling?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mickfitz)
    I really need some good revision resources for this. It's quite difficult to get complete but succinct resources.
    Thought'd I'd help you guys out.. I found these on getrevising.co.uk
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Cuban Missile Crisis - Causes.pdf (43.4 KB, 166 views)
  2. File Type: pdf Theme One The Emergence of the Superpowers.pdf (75.5 KB, 100 views)
  3. File Type: pdf Emergence of Detente.pdf (36.9 KB, 112 views)
  4. File Type: pdf Achievements and Failures of Detente.pdf (21.1 KB, 123 views)
  5. File Type: pdf Cuban Missile Crisis - Impact.pdf (21.3 KB, 96 views)
  6. File Type: pdf The Grand Alliance 1945-1953 A2 International relations.pdf (25.6 KB, 93 views)
  7. File Type: pdf Aspects of International Relations PART ONE.pdf (50.0 KB, 140 views)
  8. File Type: pdf Aspects of International Relations PART TWO.pdf (54.0 KB, 92 views)
  9. File Type: pdf Aspects of International Relations PART THREE.pdf (56.2 KB, 118 views)

ReputationRep:
    What is everyones predictions for the exam?

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely detest this unit.

ReputationRep:
    predictions??

ReputationRep:
    Probably peaceful coexistence and détente. Is anyone revising post 1991, or are they going to gamble and not revise for it like me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bvlck)
    Probably peaceful coexistence and détente. Is anyone revising post 1991, or are they going to gamble and not revise for it like me?
    They come up most years... That's like three quarters of the course, haha.

Revise the whole thing because you haven't a clue what comes up and if you have to do the long-period question then you doom yourself from the off by not referring to the entire period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    They come up most years... That's like three quarters of the course, haha.

Revise the whole thing because you haven't a clue what comes up and if you have to do the long-period question then you doom yourself from the off by not referring to the entire period.
    Well peaceful coexistence is an aspect covering about 9 or so years, and detente is 62-74, that still leaves a lot to be covered. I'm predicting the depth question, rather than the breadth one because that includes roughly about 30 years, so obviously detente and peaceful coexistence would come up in one of those, as that is a given. It's been a while since they've specifically asked about Peaceful Coexistence or Dètente. E.g. 2012's paper "Khrushchev was genuinely committed to peaceful coexistence..." and "to what extent was the collapse of detente by 1980 due to changing attitudes...".. If you see what I mean.

I honestly don't have time to revise post-1991 and, quite frankly, don't want to because I don't enjoy it in the slightest. I'd rather memorise and learn everything between 1945-91 because it's more interesting and means I can hone more focus onto it.

But thanks for your advice though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bvlck)
    Well peaceful coexistence is an aspect covering about 9 or so years, and detente is 62-74, that still leaves a lot to be covered. I'm predicting the depth question, rather than the breadth one because that includes roughly about 30 years, so obviously detente and peaceful coexistence would come up in one of those, as that is a given. It's been a while since they've specifically asked about Peaceful Coexistence or Dètente. E.g. 2012's paper "Khrushchev was genuinely committed to peaceful coexistence..." and "to what extent was the collapse of detente by 1980 due to changing attitudes...".. If you see what I mean.

I honestly don't have time to revise post-1991 and, quite frankly, don't want to because I don't enjoy it in the slightest. I'd rather memorise and learn everything between 1945-91 because it's more interesting and means I can hone more focus onto it.

But thanks for your advice though!
    I'd atleast learn a few bullet point facts incase you need to comment on them in a longer question - cover your ass really.

ReputationRep:
    any predictions for the breadth question? does anybody have a decent plan to answer the "Why did the Cold War last so long?" question (1945-1989)? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I. AM. SCREWED.

I hate the way AQA words their questions, for example: ‘The Cold War lasted for so long because of the United States’ fears for Western European security.’ Assess the validity of this view with reference to the years 1945 to 1991.

I thought this question wanted why the Cold War lasted for so long using the fears over W-Europe V other factors, but the mark scheme just focuses entirely on Western Europe for all sides of the argument.

I haven't been given any predictions on what will come up and I'm clueless as to how to answer any question that dates beyond 1987.

I need a low C to get an A but there is no way I am going to surpass a D.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LydiaIsaacs)
    I. AM. SCREWED.

I hate the way AQA words their questions, for example: ‘The Cold War lasted for so long because of the United States’ fears for Western European security.’ Assess the validity of this view with reference to the years 1945 to 1991.

I thought this question wanted why the Cold War lasted for so long using the fears over W-Europe V other factors, but the mark scheme just focuses entirely on Western Europe for all sides of the argument.

I haven't been given any predictions on what will come up and I'm clueless as to how to answer any question that dates beyond 1987.

I need a low C to get an A but there is no way I am going to surpass a D.
    45ms are just 50/50; as in the argument has to be balanced; you have to show reasons as to why the CW lasted so long over W. Europe and then others as to why it doesn't - the mark scheme should cover other reasons.

Also, you don't have to revise post-1991.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bvlck)
    45ms are just 50/50; as in the argument has to be balanced; you have to show reasons as to why the CW lasted so long over W. Europe and then others as to why it doesn't - the mark scheme should cover other reasons.

Also, you don't have to revise post-1991.
    The mark scheme mentions nothing other than Western Europe!! I would have spoken about Soviet expansionism, the wars in the Middle East, failure of peaceful coexistence and détente e.t.c

I can't get away with not revising the last section as the questions always seem to be much simpler as they are short term so I wouldn't risk it.

Check out the mark scheme for that Q:

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Displ...Marking-scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LydiaIsaacs)
    The mark scheme mentions nothing other than Western Europe!! I would have spoken about Soviet expansionism, the wars in the Middle East, failure of peaceful coexistence and détente e.t.c

I can't get away with not revising the last section as the questions always seem to be much simpler as they are short term so I wouldn't risk it.

Check out the mark scheme for that Q:

http://www.irevise.com/Content-Displ...Marking-scheme
    "
    1. Nevertheless, there are a number of other factors to consider:
      • Western Europe became the focal point of the development of détente. Willy Brandtwas the prime mover in this process through his policy of Ostpolitik. This may be viewedas a significant impulse in the development of global détente that emerged. This is aclear link between Western Europe and the attempts to establish a new more co-operative relationship between the superpowers, which could have lead to bringing theCold War to an end much earlier
      • Berlin became the focal point of the end of the Cold War. As the Wall came down inNovember 1989 the first most significant step towards a final end of the Cold War wastaken
      • Western Europe consolidated its own defence and economic security. This could beexplored through the Maastricht Treaty, 1991
      • ideological divisions acted as a lasting and long-term division and this was the result ofboth the USA and the USSR
      • both sides participated in a lasting nuclear arms race, even during détente.Furthermore, students may:

• consider the view that while Eastern Europe remained part of the Soviet satellite system,Western Europe would always be vulnerable to the further expansion of Communism.This made Western Europe a key factor in the continuance of the Cold War
    History - AQA GCE Mark Scheme 2012 June series
    • there were opportunities to reduce the tension further. One particularly significant onewas détente. Students may consider the collapse of détente and the degree ofresponsibility taken by the USA
    • containment was not merely a Western European strategy. It was a long-term globalstrategy."

It discusses other things (in bold)?

ReputationRep:
    Assuming there is a post 1991 question. Whats everyones predictions for it?

Also what do we need to know about Yugoslavia? Do we need to know why it broke up or the significance of the break-up? Or more specifically the bombing campaign?

ReputationRep:
    Could Korea feature in this years exam?

ReputationRep:
    my predictions are either; peaceful coexistence, detente, or causes of the cuban missile crisis.

in regards to revising post 1991, i am, just as a back up, although i find this unit really hard and wouldn't answer a question on it unless the other questions didn't suit me at all or completely threw me. i think its best to have at least some understanding, as you could use it in a breadth question!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.