The Student Room Logo
This thread is closed

Girton College

Scroll to see replies

sbailey
Hey, guess what? I kept to my word and came 11th :cool: Yay!

Well done, that is amazing.
Reply 241
MentallyIll
Well done, that is amazing.
I got 2:1s in each of the essay papers, is that normal? Seems a bit strange to me that I could come 11th then, unless they give out firsts very sparingly indeed.
Reply 242
OMG, 11th! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

i'm not really surprised with regards to the essay papers, simply because of the examiners' report they included with the anatomy handbook at the start of the year... i believe the mean essay score was something like 57-63 (depending on the essay), with a standard deviation of something like 3 marks!!!

(i take it you got the results by post?)

so what did you actually get? 222/300?

(now i'm really nervous)
Reply 243
KHL
OMG, 11th! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

i'm not really surprised with regards to the essay papers, simply because of the examiners' report they included with the anatomy handbook at the start of the year... i believe the mean essay score was something like 57-63 (depending on the essay), with a standard deviation of something like 3 marks!!!

(i take it you got the results by post?)

so what did you actually get? 222/300?

(now i'm really nervous)
Yeah 222. I would love to know some other marks/positions to get an idea of the spread. My guess is that the marks are tightly clustered. 4% above the borderline doesn't seem high enough to be 11th!

Good luck with your results. Although I don't really know you, you're from Caius so you probably have nothing to worry about :smile:

EDIT: Results arrived in the post this morning. Probably because I pestered my tutor's secretary yesterday.
Reply 244
Woohoo! :smile:
sbailey
I got 2:1s in each of the essay papers, is that normal? Seems a bit strange to me that I could come 11th then, unless they give out firsts very sparingly indeed.

Wow, so I guess only the top 2 got 1sts. That is so stingy.
Reply 246
MentallyIll
Wow, so I guess only the top 2 got 1sts. That is so stingy.

I may have got 1sts in some of my individual essays (speculation) but not in the papers as a whole, leading to an averaged high 2:1. The way it seems to work is that everyone gets good marks in the MCQs, some people get bad marks in the practical papers, and everyone gets bad marks in the essays. :tongue:

I got a first overall anway, can't complain. :biggrin:
sbailey
I may have got 1sts in some of my individual essays (speculation) but not in the papers as a whole, leading to an averaged high 2:1. The way it seems to work is that everyone gets good marks in the MCQs, some people get bad marks in the practical papers, and everyone gets bad marks in the essays. :tongue:

I got a first overall anway, can't complain. :biggrin:

Oh right. Well I dont really understand what you are waffling on about above, but it's great that you got an overall first. That is impressive.
Reply 248
MentallyIll
Oh right. Well I dont really understand what you are waffling on about above, but it's great that you got an overall first. That is impressive.

Sorry, it may make more sense to someone who also had to sit the exams. :tongue:

The MCQs are multiple choice and test factual knowledge and basic reasoning and logic. The practical papers test logic/calculations and knowledge of practical skills. The essays are meant to test your understanding of the bigger picture, but I think I need a bigger wall to hang it on. :tongue:
Reply 249
sbailey
Hey, guess what? I kept to my word and came 11th :cool: Yay!

*jaw drops*

Oh. My. God. That is fantastic! Congratulations! *Cracks open champagne*

I haven't had anything by post yet, so I don't know where I came overall. Somewhere in the middle, I would guess.

I think high 2:1s on your essay papers is pretty damn good - mine were low 2:1/2:2 :redface: and I got a 2:1 overall so I think everyone does badly on them. My practical paper marks were high though, just wish I could have mirrored that more in my essays :frown:

But hurray! Well done! :biggrin:
Reply 250
Helenia
*jaw drops*

Oh. My. God. That is fantastic! Congratulations! *Cracks open champagne*

I haven't had anything by post yet, so I don't know where I came overall. Somewhere in the middle, I would guess.

I think high 2:1s on your essay papers is pretty damn good - mine were low 2:1/2:2 :redface: and I got a 2:1 overall so I think everyone does badly on them. My practical paper marks were high though, just wish I could have mirrored that more in my essays :frown:

But hurray! Well done! :biggrin:

Well done, I'm always impressed by people who do well on the practical papers :smile: Especially if they slept through the real practicals :tongue:
Reply 251
i know for a fact that the top caius medic last year came 3rd overall, and had above 80 for each subject, i.e. 240+, probably 250+...

but then again, if you believe in normal distributions, the spread does tend to increase at the top and bottom...

whatever it is, 11th is unbelievable!!!

(to those who do not understand the significance, there are firsts, then there are FIRSTS... to come 11th in a competitive pool of 300 or 370 students *not sure if vets are included*, is EXCEPTIONAL)

edit: and i'm really curious now... just how detailed are the posted results? (damn mail takes at least 5 days to reach me... grrr...)
Reply 252
sbailey
Well done, I'm always impressed by people who do well on the practical papers :smile: Especially if they slept through the real practicals :tongue:

Hehe, you probably still did better than me on them though. :smile: And I didn't sleep through practicals. I think it was a successful combination of flirting and plotting the demise of the witch-woman that did it :wink:

I think I'm going to have to chain myself into my room next year :frown:

Do either of you know who came first?
Reply 253
KHL
i know for a fact that the top caius medic last year came 3rd overall, and had above 80 for each subject, i.e. 240+, probably 250+...

but then again, if you believe in normal distributions, the spread does tend to increase at the top and bottom...

whatever it is, 11th is unbelievable!!!

(to those who do not understand the significance, there are firsts, then there are FIRSTS... to come 11th in a competitive pool of 300 or 370 students *not sure if vets are included*, is EXCEPTIONAL)

Wow, hats off to that guy/girl last year - they are a proper genius! No doubt there's someone to replace them this year, so I accept your modifications to my theory. I remember Cherry (the new MedSoc president) came 4th in the year and was a keen rower too, is she the one you mean?

My marks varied a lot. I got 90% for MIMS paper 1 but 65% for MIMS paper 3. But then, as I said earlier, I think paper one is meant to be easier.
Reply 254
sbailey
Yeah 222. I would love to know some other marks/positions to get an idea of the spread. My guess is that the marks are tightly clustered. 4% above the borderline doesn't seem high enough to be 11th!

Good luck with your results. Although I don't really know you, you're from Caius so you probably have nothing to worry about :smile:

let's put it this way about the spread: there are 70 firsts, give or take, and they start at about 210, give or take, so for the top 25 percentiles, there is a mark range of 12 marks out of 300? so probably by the 20th position or so, marks should be around 218? 40th around 214? (approximate guessing, assuming normal distribution...)

thanks for the confidence, but not all caians are born geniuses... sadly, a couple of us failed FAB, one failed HOM, and we've got a 3rd... 10 1sts though... (out of 26)
Reply 255
sbailey
Wow, hats off to that guy/girl last year - they are a proper genius! No doubt there's someone to replace them this year, so I accept your modifications to my theory. I remember Cherry (the new MedSoc president) came 4th in the year and was a keen rower too, is she the one you mean?

My marks varied a lot. I got 90% for MIMS paper 1 but 65% for MIMS paper 3. But then, as I said earlier, I think paper one is meant to be easier.

uh huh, but Cherry came 3rd. yep, and she rows, and is medsoc president, and caius medsoc vice president, yadayadayadayada... i think there's one in every batch...

i know of a 3rd year medic, graduated now... rowed, may ball committee, and 1st in NST Biochem!!!!!! (i've been told it's the hardest for medics!)

90%! congrats! to be honest, looking at examiners comments, again in the FAB handbook (and this is for 70% passmark FAB), the MCQs are DESIGNED to have 70-75% mean score, and i think for MIMS/HOM, it would be closer to 55-60% mean, so 90% is exceptional by any standard.

only thing is, MCQs, you're either right or wrong. essays, it's near impossible to get 20/20, no matter how well you write... which means that it's a lot easier to get extreme (high or low) marks for MCQs than it is for essays...
Reply 256
KHL
let's put it this way about the spread: there are 70 firsts, give or take, and they start at about 210, give or take, so for the top 25 percentiles, there is a mark range of 12 marks out of 300? so probably by the 20th position or so, marks should be around 218? 40th around 214? (approximate guessing, assuming normal distribution...)

thanks for the confidence, but not all caians are born geniuses... sadly, a couple of us failed FAB, one failed HOM, and we've got a 3rd... 10 1sts though... (out of 26)

We've got two 3rds, one unclassified, and two 1sts. Don't complain :tongue: (out of 17)
Reply 257
sbailey
We've got two 3rds, one unclassified, and two 1sts. Don't complain :tongue: (out of 17)

with one of them 11th overall though... must count for something... :wink:
Reply 258
KHL

Hehe, we all passed everything! :biggrin: I don't know what grades everyone got though, I know 2 medics (of 12) got Firsts, plus 2 of our vets, but I didn't ask for everyone (my cousin was on the phone to me whilst standing outside Senate House).

Makes you feel very mortal :redface: but congratulations Steve!
Reply 259
Helenia
Hehe, we all passed everything! :biggrin: I don't know what grades everyone got though, I know 2 medics (of 12) got Firsts, plus 2 of our vets, but I didn't ask for everyone (my cousin was on the phone to me whilst standing outside Senate House).

Makes you feel very mortal :redface: but congratulations Steve!

I'm already feeling mortal considering some people manage to score 250+. Performance-enhancing drugs?