Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i wonder what the results spread by college is... someone should really just reproduce the list and send it via email... know anyone still in cam?

too bad noone from christ's hangs out here... it'd be quite... interesting (scary?) to hear about their results... apparently last year it was 11 1sts out of 14 medics...

(talking about group results here, 8 singaporean/malaysian medics, (including sree ) apparently 7 firsts)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbailey)
    I'm already feeling mortal considering some people manage to score 250+. Performance-enhancing drugs?
    Bribes and sexual favours, clearly.

Question: Medicine seems really hard, lots of thirds and failures. Is it unusually tough?

ReputationRep:
    I'm already feeling mortal considering some people manage to score 250+. Performance-enhancing drugs?
    how do you know? do they reveal top scores or something? (i mean for this year... i know about last year... :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Bribes and sexual favours, clearly.

Question: Medicine seems really hard, lots of thirds and failures. Is it unusually tough?
    failures just fail in one subject, and get a 2nd chance at a resit in september. it doesn't mean they fail their degree and get kicked out, although there is a longstanding joke that failed medics (i.e. failed 2nd chance) become bionatscis. (not sure if this is actually the case) and from personal experience in lent term mocks, one can get a 2:2 in MIMS and still get a decent first overall...

as for 3rds, in every subject, there are usually a couple of 3rds. in a faculty of 300, there are usually about 15-20 3rds, i think, which is a pretty small number. usually, it is an indication of overindulgence in alcohol, sport or something else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    i wonder what the results spread by college is... someone should really just reproduce the list and send it via email... know anyone still in cam?

too bad noone from christ's hangs out here... it'd be quite... interesting (scary?) to hear about their results... apparently last year it was 11 1sts out of 14 medics...

(talking about group results here, 8 singaporean/malaysian medics, (including sree ) apparently 7 firsts)
    You guys are making me feel bad enough here already, without bringing in them as well! :eek: And yes, I know Sree got a First. Both our firsts are from international students

(Original post by H&E)
    The fails we're talking about aren't tripos failures (which you have to work quite hard to get), they're failing the 2nd MB, which you have to pass to become a doctor. And they're harder to pass; for Anatomy the pass mark is ~70%, for MIMS and HOM it's ~50%. So it's understandable that people will fail, and you'd hope that they wouldn't let people be doctors when they don't know enough stuff! :eek: As for getting 3rds, I don't know. I scored over 70% (i.e. First) in all my MB papers, but my essays brought it all crashing down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    how do you know? do they reveal top scores or something? (i mean for this year... i know about last year... :rolleyes: )
    I was just going by last year. Since Cherry was number 3 in the year group, chances are at least one person this year will achieve a similar level of distinction.

(Original post by H&E)
    It is very tough, but I don't know if I would say unusually tough. About the same as Natural Sciences at Cambridge probably. The difference is that while the world can stand a few bad scientists, it's generally thought a good idea to set the pass mark quite high for medics so that no one ends up dying over it. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It is very tough, but I don't know if I would say unusually tough. About the same as Natural Sciences at Cambridge probably. The difference is that while the world can stand a few bad scientists, it's generally thought a good idea to set the pass mark quite high for medics so that no one ends up dying over it. :rolleyes:
    That's a very good point. I'm doing a nice useless subject, so hopefully no-one will care how I do and they'll just give mea First anyway...

ReputationRep:
    I know about Caius' amazing success over the years, and Christ's last year were just ridiculously successful! 80% firsts! A DoS would kill for that kind of statistic! I kept wondering how there could be any firsts left for "the rest of us"... That's why when I heard I got a first I was virtually sure it would be a borderline one, but then my logic was probably flawed in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    That's a very good point. I'm doing a nice useless subject, so hopefully no-one will care how I do and they'll just give mea First anyway...
    You're doing History to become employable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    You're doing History to become employable
    Also a bit of money counting.

ReputationRep:
    I know about Caius' amazing success over the years, and Christ's last year were just ridiculously successful! 80% firsts! A DoS would kill for that kind of statistic! I kept wondering how there could be any firsts left for "the rest of us"... That's why when I heard I got a first I was virtually sure it would be a borderline one, but then my logic was probably flawed in the first place.
    Enjoy it You worked for it. No reason why it can't have been a good one just because you don't go to the colleges that churn out Firsts by the bucketload.

Shiny - are you saying we're not employable?

ReputationRep:
    Shiny was taking the piss out of someone. Not yet sure who tho...
    Medics or historians?

ReputationRep:
    I was quoting an Oxford Historian I know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Both our firsts are from international students
    shanelle, by any chance? (i know 4 clare medics, incl. you, and that makes 3 already...)

yep, enjoy your first steve, you've earned it!

funny though, how it seems that contrary to popular belief, right at the very top, medics who are extremely active outside of studies are overrepresented... particularly boatie medics...

ReputationRep:
    The difference is that while the world can stand a few bad scientists, it's generally thought a good idea to set the pass mark quite high for medics so that no one ends up dying over it. :rolleyes:
    erm... it might be worth watching spiderman 2 before making that comment Doc Ock anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)
    shanelle, by any chance? (i know 4 clare medics, incl. you, and that makes 3 already...)

yep, enjoy your first steve, you've earned it!
    Yeah, it was. How did you do, by the way? And who is the 4th? (Probably shouldn't be spreading everyone's names around on here though )

ReputationRep:
    i'd love to know how i did too! (my DoS is being quite inefficient... grr...)

4th guy is red cross man. (you said no names...) i vaguely know another sri lankan (or is he pakistani), but as i don't recall his name, i guess it doesn't count... (i usually meet him when shanelle is around... not that i'm implying anything.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)

4th guy is red cross man. (you said no names...) i vaguely know another sri lankan (or is he pakistani), but as i don't recall his name, i guess it doesn't count...
    Oh yeah, I know who you mean. And grrrrr at your DoS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KHL)

4th guy is red cross man. (you said no names...) i vaguely know another sri lankan (or is he pakistani), but as i don't recall his name, i guess it doesn't count... (i usually meet him when shanelle is around... not that i'm implying anything.)
    Ashvini and Sandeep at Trinity are going to kick some academic arse

Would it seem rude if I emailed them, do you think? In all likelihood they will have done better than me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    it's your call really... but from what i know of ashwini... she scares me... no clue who sandeep is though...

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.