Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have my offer from the University of Glasgow, starting September 1st this year, and would like to get a head start on the set texts for the English Literature first year course but can't find the reading list anywhere.
    It may not be out yet but, I was wondering if anyone has the reading list for the upcoming new semester? I think it may have been handed out at the Applicants day, which I couldn't make it to.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleparade)
    Hello!

I have my offer from the University of Glasgow, starting September 1st this year, and would like to get a head start on the set texts for the English Literature first year course but can't find the reading list anywhere.
    It may not be out yet but, I was wondering if anyone has the reading list for the upcoming new semester? I think it may have been handed out at the Applicants day, which I couldn't make it to.

Thanks!
    Most reading lists are the same. Try to read one classic a week e.g. Sophocles, Thomas Hardy, Dickens, Brontë, Woolf, Milton, Blake. Make sure you are able to pick out the key themes, events, characters and plots too. It's better to have read one thing and understood it well than lots and nothing. Spend time on the King James Bible as well because a lot of authors allude to that in their works.

As for theory:
    Beginning Theory: An Introduction to Literary and Cultural Theory
    Literary Theory: An Introduction
    The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism
    The Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms

Other:
    A Little History of Literature
    How to Write Better Essays
    Writing Essays: A Guide for Students in English and the Humanities (Read both, they don't overlap and it will save you a lot of time from making mistakes)

If you can get a copy of Studying Fiction by Roy Johnson then that would be good as well. These are books I've found helpful for my own English studies and they'll need to be read at some point. Get used to having to re-read things as well because you're not going to know what someone is getting at before you've read it all. Enjoy your studies and congrats on getting a place! :-)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.