Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    after talking with an academic adviser, I've been told that my topic might possible merit a full PhD and not "just" a Masters by Research. Meaning that after roughly 9 months, I might transfer from being a MA student to a PhD student, meaning that I would not graduate as an MA during the time period normally allocated for a Masters. How would that affect my SFE Postgraduate loan? Would I need to repay it immediately?
    • TSR Support Team

    TSR Support Team
    Hi Future PG,

    A Postgraduate Loan is not available for PhD qualifications. If you get a Postgraduate Loan for your Masters and then transfer to a course that is not eligible for funding you must let us know or you might be overpaid.

    If you do transfer, you'll be due to start repaying your loan the following April and only when your income is over the current threshold of £404 a week, £1,750 a month or £21,000 a year.

Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.