The Student Room Group

What should I do about my best friend?

So my best friend over the past year has been pretty much inert in terms of his school work. He refuses to do his class work when the teachers tell him to, he has an appalling attitude and is generally just a bully to everyone including myself.

We're in year 11 so exams are coming soon so I've been doing my revision but I've noticed he's been trying to drag me out more on the weekends as well. It's almost like he wants me to fail because he's jealous that I'll get better grades than him. This is especially evident during school because he's in most of my option subjects (option subjects aren't 'setted'). He distracts me in class, starts playing on his phone and it really annoys me because I want him to do well in school because he was a bright lad but he's being cocky and ignorant saying that he doesn't need education to do well in life and that he'll just join the army.

And it gets worse. He's been doing drugs recently and I've just come to this point where I'm thinking 'I don't need you in my life anymore, you're dragging me down and manipulating me' but I can't say that because we've been friends for pretty much our whole High School career.

Honestly, I just have no idea what I should do with him.
Toxic people have no place in your life. I'd cut them out even if they were family.

I'd have a serious chat with them about this, and end with how it would negatively affect your life, which you don't need.

Considering the kind of person he is, you'll probably forget him as soon as you leave for uni or whatever anyway.
Original post by BristolFresher15
Toxic people have no place in your life. I'd cut them out even if they were family.

I'd have a serious chat with them about this, and end with how it would negatively affect your life, which you don't need.

Considering the kind of person he is, you'll probably forget him as soon as you leave for uni or whatever anyway.

Well I've stopped talking to him completely. It was hard to do but I knew I had to do it. Sounds strange but I want to see him fail in life so he learns from his mistakes because he just never seems to get the message to grow up and grow a pair.

So I think you're right, when I get to college where I'll never see him again, I'll have better more positive friends than him! :h:
(edited 7 years ago)
It's hard to separate from someone you know so much but honestly, letting them go could be the best thing you could ever do. For yourself and for them, then maybe once you do he'll realise his own mistakes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending