ReputationRep:
    GCSES
    I am picking
    History
    Drama
    Physcology
    Geography or French or sociology HELP ME CHOOSE PLEASE
    + the core subjects, English , maths, science, R.S
    If I choose these GCSE subjects will I be able to go to a GOOD university to study law and become a lawyer??? Thank you URGENT.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. You don't need specific GCSEs or A levels to do law. History sounds good as you can do it for A level if you like it and do it now. Go for them.

ReputationRep:
    probably pick the language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lewis_GCSE)
    GCSES
    I am picking
    History
    Drama
    Physcology
    Geography or French or sociology HELP ME CHOOSE PLEASE
    + the core subjects, English , maths, science, R.S
    If I choose these GCSE subjects will I be able to go to a GOOD university to study law and become a lawyer??? Thank you URGENT.
    I wouldn't choose Sociology as well as Drama and Psychology, none of those 3 are particularly strong subjects. A language is always a good choice and having History and French would balance out Drama and Psychology a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, just choose what you like at GCSE. Worry about your future later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I wouldn't choose Sociology as well as Drama and Psychology, none of those 3 are particularly strong subjects. A language is always a good choice and having History and French would balance out Drama and Psychology a bit.
    What's better like for unis physcology or sociology???

ReputationRep:
    What's better like for unis physcology or sociology???
    Neither of them are particularly academic subjects. I would say psychology is a marginally better choice, but that's just my view of course. When I applied for Law I was advised not to take lots of 'soft' subjects like psychology, sociology, dance, drama, media studies, business studies etc because Law is a very academic degree and the top unis will need evidence that you can perform well in academic subjects.

However - this is more important at A level than GCSEs. I don't think unis would care all that much about your GCSE choices. But if your school has the same rule as mine, you aren't leaving yourself very much choice for A levels (if you take out drama, psych, sociology, you're kinda just left with core subjects and history) No matter what you're going to do a language is always impressive

ReputationRep:
    Neither of them are particularly academic subjects. I would say psychology is a marginally better choice, but that's just my view of course. When I applied for Law I was advised not to take lots of 'soft' subjects like psychology, sociology, dance, drama, media studies, business studies etc because Law is a very academic degree and the top unis will need evidence that you can perform well in academic subjects.

However - this is more important at A level than GCSEs. I don't think unis would care all that much about your GCSE choices. But if your school has the same rule as mine, you aren't leaving yourself very much choice for A levels (if you take out drama, psych, sociology, you're kinda just left with core subjects and history) No matter what you're going to do a language is always impressive
    You're a life saver ! What GCSEs did you pick ? And what do you suggest I pick I'm in the top set? Also how's your law career going

ReputationRep:
    You're a life saver ! What GCSEs did you pick ? And what do you suggest I pick I'm in the top set? Also how's your law career going
    I did Maths, English Lit, English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, German, French, Food Technology, IT and RS.

I think History, French, Psychology and Drama would be fine for GCSE. History is always good for Law because it's a huge essay subject and requires lots of attention to detail and analysis. Languages as I said always impressive and also can impact your written/spoken English if you learn a MFL. Psychology wasn't offered at GCSE at my school so I don't know much about the GCSE I'm afraid. Drama is good for advocacy skills, public speaking etc all potentially key in a legal career.

I didn't want to qualify as a lawyer after I finished my law degree so I don't have a legal career, haha. I'm now doing a medical law postgraduate degree. I also work full time for an arm's length body of the Department of Health

ReputationRep:
    I did Maths, English Lit, English Language, Chemistry, Biology, Physics, History, German, French, Food Technology, IT and RS.

I think History, French, Psychology and Drama would be fine for GCSE. History is always good for Law because it's a huge essay subject and requires lots of attention to detail and analysis. Languages as I said always impressive and also can impact your written/spoken English if you learn a MFL. Psychology wasn't offered at GCSE at my school so I don't know much about the GCSE I'm afraid. Drama is good for advocacy skills, public speaking etc all potentially key in a legal career.

I didn't want to qualify as a lawyer after I finished my law degree so I don't have a legal career, haha. I'm now doing a medical law postgraduate degree. I also work full time for an arm's length body of the Department of Health
    Thank you but I'm worried I'm really good at every subject apart from French .
    How hard was it for you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you but I'm worried I'm really good at every subject apart from French .
    How hard was it for you?
    Well, if you're good at the others you could just put a bit more work in for French and the others will come more easily to you? I don't know, it's up to you of course.
    The degree? I didn't enjoy the first two years at all so I struggled a lot to motivate myself. My grades weren't good because I didn't like any of the modules so I did pretty poorly. In my final year when I got to choose my modules and also my dissertation I didn't find it difficult to get 2.1s and firsts. It varies though because some people, like my sister, can motivate themselves to do a lot of work even when they don't enjoy a subject and I can't. If I don't like it I don't bother so I got a lot of 2.2s at first. If you like Law it's not too difficult and is definitely very manageable

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.