Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide which offer to firm and I would be interested to know what living at Exeter Uni is actually like? I never feel like you get a real idea from Open Days and prospectuses.

ReputationRep:
    What is your other option?

Exeter, and the South West in general, is picturesque, sunny and relatively quiet. If you enjoy large bustling cities, hubs of culture and powerhouses of the economy, then you're looking in the wrong place. If you enjoy outdoor sports, nature, tranquillity and small-town living then firm Exeter.

Devon is the holiday capital of the UK. It's where you go in the summer if your family can't afford France. It's one of the best places in England for sight-seeing (e.g. the Jurassic coast) but not necessarily for graduate opportunities.

It really comes down to your preferences and interests. I would say its polar opposite is somewhere like KCL or Manchester and similar places are Brighton and Kent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macromicro)
    What is your other option?

Exeter, and the South West in general, is picturesque, sunny and relatively quiet. If you enjoy large bustling cities, hubs of culture and powerhouses of the economy, then you're looking in the wrong place. If you enjoy outdoor sports, nature, tranquillity and small-town living then firm Exeter.

Devon is the holiday capital of the UK. It's where you go in the summer if your family can't afford France. It's one of the best places in England for sight-seeing (e.g. the Jurassic coast) but not necessarily for graduate opportunities.

It really comes down to your preferences and interests. I would say its polar opposite is somewhere like KCL or Manchester and similar places are Brighton and Kent.
    Thank you! My other choice is York but I also have an unconditional from Birmingham (studying history).

I have visited Exeter as a tourist in the past but I wondered what it was like to actually live there. I know the cities of York and Birmingham a lot better (northern lass) but I did love the small bits of Exeter I got to see. I don't need a big city, just somewhere that isn't completely dead. I'm from the middle of nowhere so anything would be an improvement 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaTK)
    Thank you! My other choice is York but I also have an unconditional from Birmingham (studying history).

I have visited Exeter as a tourist in the past but I wondered what it was like to actually live there. I know the cities of York and Birmingham a lot better (northern lass) but I did love the snmall bits of Exeter I got to see. I don't need a big city, just somewhere that isn't completely dead. I'm from the middle of nowhere so anything would be an improvement 😂
    I lived there for one year and found it similar to Brighton. It's a lovely place but at the end of the day it's a medium sized cathedral city - it isn't exactly a hub of festivals and events and isn't particularly progressive or modern but that's because its forte is beauty and scenery and tradition.

I live in Manchester now and in contrast it is ugly and wet but has much more going on and is more suited to the younger generations. It doesn't have the amazing World Heritage site or National Parks or beaches of Devon but has more graduate jobs, more internships, more festivals, a thriving art scene, etc. I would say York is somewhere between the two but closer to Exeter.

My best advice is to follow your interests/hobbies/preferences and pick the city that best aligns with them. If you're a home bird then perhaps York is the better choice; if you want more of an adventure then the South could be an experience. You will have a great time in any place so don't get too hung up on the decision - it's more about the people you meet and learning a subject of interest than anything else.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.