Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would your reaction be if a person you knew suddenly became mentally unwell? Watch

A lot has happened at school in the past few days which happened to have involved myself. I have had to go speak to my Principal and seek support from my head of year regarding this matter - who have told me this person is 'unwell' which was a cause for the recent activity in class. I don't know why, but I feel like I was the root of the problem.

What would reaciton be if you found out a person in your class has suddenly become mentally ill? How would you take it and what sort of adivse would you offer others experiencing the same thing?

Any help appreciated, thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    A lot has happened at school in the past few days which happened to have involved myself. I have had to go speak to my Principal and seek support from my head of year regarding this matter - who have told me this person is 'unwell' which was a cause for the recent activity in class. I don't know why, but I feel like I was the root of the problem.

What would reaciton be if you found out a person in your class has suddenly become mentally ill? How would you take it and what sort of adivse would you offer others experiencing the same thing?

Can you add some details?What exactly happened in the past few days?Is he/she dangerous to u guys in some way?Like what sort of mental illness?Was he/she ur close friend?

(Original post by S242)
    Can you add some details?What exactly happened in the past few days?Is he/she dangerous to u guys in some way?Like what sort of mental illness?Was he/she ur close friend?
    Well he's a quiet person in my class, and recently he's had become very hyperactive - e.g. violent towards a member in my class, sarcastic to teachers and physically violent. I think I'm the root because he told someone that he likes me, and when I told him that I have boyfriend, he thought it was a close friend of mine (who is male) and was unsurprisingly being rude to him the most.

He sent me a whole bunch of messages last week which I only saw yesterday which was I had to see my principal and HOY. Messages included something about how we are all part of a secret service, mi5/6 and some random things - really quite freaky. H ended with a suicidal note which was I instantly went to senior memebers of staff the next day.

I wasn't close to him at all - only ever spoke to him when either of us needed help with school work.

ReputationRep:

Someone has become unwell.... well my reaction would probably be ok.
    the matter would reflect off my tungsten heart and i really wouldn't care, they're still my friend.

(Original post by thefatone)
    Someone has become unwell.... well my reaction would probably be ok.
    the matter would reflect off my tungsten heart and i really wouldn't care, they're still my friend.
    Wow, good on you!

thefatone Thank you for replying

ReputationRep:
    Wow, good on you!
    thefatone Thank you for replying
    Meh, a friend of mine came out as gay and he told me not to tell anyone else ...:doh:(no name disclosed though....)
    and he was really scared about it and didn't want too many people to know.

Guess what? he was still my friend and still now he's gonna be my friend, being gay doesn't change any of my past experiences with them when we had fun and played together as friends(god this sounds wrong)
    but yea if you're gay that makes difference on my view upon you as a person

(Original post by thefatone)
    Meh, a friend of mine came out as gay and he told me not to tell anyone else ...:doh:(no name disclosed though....)
    and he was really scared about it and didn't want too many people to know.

Guess what? he was still my friend and still now he's gonna be my friend, being gay doesn't change any of my past experiences with them when we had fun and played together as friends(god this sounds wrong)
    but yea if you're gay that makes difference on my view upon you as a person
    But someone coming out as gay is completely different to this situation

ReputationRep:
    Well he's a quiet person in my class, and recently he's had become very hyperactive - e.g. violent towards a member in my class, sarcastic to teachers and physically violent. I think I'm the root because he told someone that he likes me, and when I told him that I have boyfriend, he thought it was a close friend of mine (who is male) and was unsurprisingly being rude to him the most.

He sent me a whole bunch of messages last week which I only saw yesterday which was I had to see my principal and HOY. Messages included something about how we are all part of a secret service, mi5/6 and some random things - really quite freaky. H ended with a suicidal note which was I instantly went to senior memebers of staff the next day.

I wasn't close to him at all - only ever spoke to him when either of us needed help with school work.
    It sounds like he has a broken heart.I don't think he is mentally ill since there wasn't any relationship and you didn't betray him and chill it's not ur fault really.You just gave him ur answer and rejection is hard for everyone.Try putting urself in his shoes.If you didn't have a boyfriend,if u had a crush and if u had confessed to him and if he rejected you,how would u feel?well time heals everything.I guess you guys can't become friends out of the blue but he will calm down soon.And you did okay,you should never say yes to someone out of sympathy.Best of luck and I wish you a happy life with ur bf(get married in future and have lots of kids ).I am starting my uni life soon.So,wish me some luck so that I can find a cute guy for me too .Forget these creepy ppl,he is probably acting too violent to grab ur attention.Stick firmly to the person you love and don't be rude to the other guy who likes you.It is never a crime to like someone.Try not to joke about him anywhere.He is probably suffering from sudden crash of reputation.He is probably getting bullied a lot from his friends after rejection.Make sure he understands that even though u don't like him,u don't hate him.

ReputationRep:
    I would stand by him if he was a good friend

ReputationRep:

schizophrenia or attention seeking

ReputationRep:
    Be supportive towards them. They're probably deal with a whole load of things too.
    The last thing they want is to be stigmatized. They're still human, just treat them like a normal person but take into consideration that at certain times, they may not be okay.

ReputationRep:
    Did you bully this person?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    if you barely know them I would leave it and just make sure you keep it quiet and don't gossip, perhaps a quick message saying you're glad they're feeling better when they come back to school

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.