Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Nodes carry no energy

can someone explain this to me?

ReputationRep:
    Infact, i might be able to
    The nodes are the points on the wave with the least amplitude. This means they have the least displacement and therefore they have the least energy.
    On the other hand, anti nodes have the most amplitude, and therefore carry the most energy
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This shows the nodes and antinodes on the wave, the nodes always have the least amplitude (usually 0) and therefore have no movement, no movement is no kinetic energy etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Spartan)
    Infact, i might be able to
    The nodes are the points on the wave with the least amplitude. This means they have the least displacement and therefore they have the least energy.
    On the other hand, anti nodes have the most amplitude, and therefore carry the most amplitude
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This shows the nodes and antinodes on the wave, the nodes always have the least amplitude (usually 0) and therefore have no movement, no movement is no kinetic energy etc.
    where does this come from? i understand the least displacement and amplitude but i don't see where energy comes into this.

is there an equation which explains this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    where does this come from? i understand the least displacement and amplitude but i don't see where energy comes into this.

is there an equation which explains this?
    Ke=1/2 mv^2. Therefore if the rope isn't moving (which is the case of a node) the kinetic energy of the wave at that point is 0 as the velocity is 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Ke=1/2 mv^2. Therefore if the rope isn't moving (which is the case of a node) the kinetic energy of the wave at that point is 0 as the velocity is 0
    do waves have kinetic energy????

ReputationRep:
    do waves have kinetic energy????
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    Yes
    how???? i understand the particle nature of the em spectrum as demonstrated by the photoelectric effect but how to waves transfer energy?

ReputationRep:
    how???? i understand the particle nature of the em spectrum as demonstrated by the photoelectric effect but how to waves transfer energy?
    Well the string is moving right? therefore if it is moving it must have a kinetic energy. The derivation of the exact energy of a wave goes way beyond this level
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Em waves don't have kinetic energy. Waves like sound waves do.

ReputationRep:
    Well the string is moving right? therefore if it is moving it must have a kinetic energy. The derivation of the exact energy of a wave goes way beyond this level
    the string is a materialistic thing whereas a wave is not
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Certain waves involve displacing matter. E.g. a wave in water, the water has energy from this wave like motion. In the circumstance of a wave in water the higher the displacement then the more EK there is.

ReputationRep:
    The wave is travelling through the string

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    Certain waves involve displacing matter. E.g. a wave in water, the water has energy from this wave like motion. In the circumstance of a wave in water the higher the displacement then the more EK there is.
    I see so the waves transfer energy by displacing other stuff? so would those be classed as mechanical/longitudinal waves?
    The wave is travelling through the string
    yes thus the wave isn't materialistic, yes it acts through the string
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see so the waves transfer energy by displacing other stuff? so would those be classed as mechanical/longitudinal waves?

yes thus the wave isn't materialistic, yes it acts through the string
    A mechanical wave is where matter is oscillating so yes, a EM wave wouldn't be this. Mechanical waves can be transverse or longitudinal. Example of transverse is a water ripple/wave and a longitudinal one would be a sound wave. A sound wave works by knocking particles into each other and transferring their EK.

ReputationRep:
    A mechanical wave is where matter is oscillating so yes, a EM wave wouldn't be this. Mechanical waves can be transverse or longitudinal. Example of transverse is a water ripple/wave and a longitudinal one would be a sound wave. A sound wave works by knocking particles into each other and transferring their EK.
    water waves aren't a great example for this, they are a combination of both which might confuse things further

ReputationRep:
    i guess what i'm really asking is how this happens... which is probably way beyond my level. ;( :cry2:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    i guess what i'm really asking is how this happens... which is probably way beyond my level. ;( :cry2:
    This gif shows how they knock into each other and rebound.

In a collision between two particles, EK is transferred.

ReputationRep:
    This gif shows how they knock into each other and rebound.

In a collision between two particles, EK is transferred.
    i see ok thanks at leats there's 1 thing i understood.....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.