Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else here on fluoxentine? Any of you found it makes you super sleepy? I can barely keep my eyes open in school at times but i'm at my worse in evenings, napping on the sofa and still falling asleep two hours earlier than I used to. As I started on fluoxetine three weeks ago and this can be a side effect I'm guessing its that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshan)
    Anyone else here on fluoxentine? Any of you found it makes you super sleepy? I can barely keep my eyes open in school at times but i'm at my worse in evenings, napping on the sofa and still falling asleep two hours earlier than I used to. As I started on fluoxetine three weeks ago and this can be a side effect I'm guessing its that?
    It can be a side effect for some people. When are you taking it? If in the morning, it might be an idea for you to take it at night instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    It can be a side effect for some people. When are you taking it? If in the morning, it might be an idea for you to take it at night instead.
    Taking it in the morning as I was told to when prescribed it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princesshan)
    Taking it in the morning as I was told to when prescribed it
    I'd have a word with your doctor to see if he's ok with you taking it in the evening. It shouldn't really make a difference to the antidepressant effect but might really help you with avoiding the tiredness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    I'd have a word with your doctor to see if he's ok with you taking it in the evening. It shouldn't really make a difference to the antidepressant effect but might really help you with avoiding the tiredness.
    yeah sounds good, I'll mention it when I next see him in a few weeks

ReputationRep:
    I would hazard against doing it too late as fluoxetine helps to regulate sleep. I had the same issue so I moved it to lunch time. Any later and actually it just disrupts sleep more and gave me constant nausea. Given that you've been on it for 3 weeks and side effects generally reduce by week 4, I'd wait it out (but definitely speak to dr if you're concerned)

ReputationRep:
    Another thing you could try is vitamin B supplements. When I was really drowsy - like unable to function at all, vitamin B helped with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Tara~)
    Another thing you could try is vitamin B supplements. When I was really drowsy - like unable to function at all, vitamin B helped with that.
    I'm on a few vitamin supplements already at the moment, (Vit D, B12 Injections & Folic Acid) but might look into this, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    After writing here I also saw an article which talked about the positive impact of omega 3 whilst on antidepressants too.

I always take mine at night before I go to sleep because it can impair driving reactions. It should still have the same effect if you take it at night, but of course confirm with your doctor.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.