The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Huw Davies
Not knowing Arsenal aren't a national team isn't ignorance about football (I know very little about it) but indicates living in a cave and paying no attention to national life. He does refer elsewhere to England\Turkey playing international football. Hence I'm plumping for unusual use of words (national to signify the level below international - that is, the domestic competition) over bizarre disuse of brain.

1984 may well be ignorant about football as well, but I think here he's being a little unfairly maligned.

Maligned or not I just think 1984 has made some rather unfair sweeping statements about football and it's fans and it's only fair that true football fans stand up and defend their sport. The fact he refered to London having many national teams did confuse me as I genuinely thought he meant "international teams". Also if anyone knew anything remotely about football or sport, they would know that when comes to sports involving leagues made up of club teams, people tend to support the team which is "local" to them. This is the same in Britain, France, Germany, Spain and everywhere in the world evn in the USA with teams in the NFL and the NBA.
Also is someone is going to discuss a particular subject at length, it would help if the person knew something about that subject rather than just picking up on the negative aspects which are hardly common place in the game in this day and age in this country at least.
OK the Warrior King needs his rest. Good night everyone. Don't get at each others throats it's only a topical discussion. I haven't got anything against 1984, it would just be a good idea to distinguish between national and international teams. And also it would be useful to be a bit more aware of footballing culture before blurting out sweeping generalisations which are so far from the truth.
Reply 63
Warrior King
OK the Warrior King needs his rest. Good night everyone. Don't get at each others throats it's only a topical discussion. I haven't got anything against 1984, it would just be a good idea to distinguish between national and international teams. And also it would be useful to be a bit more aware of footballing culture before blurting out sweeping generalisations which are so far from the truth.

Well apart from you and maybe two other users, all the other people who commented made very sweeping, immature and homophbic comments.

They don't give a very good impression.
-1984-
Why isn't there an openly gay football player in the Premiership?

I think some of the attitudes displayed on this thread demonstrate why.
Reply 65
thegreatstupendo
I think some of the attitudes displayed on this thread demonstrate why.

Indeed.
Reply 66
-1984-
Although, homosexuality is not for you to agree with. Homosexuality is a part of the human condition. So not agreeing with it is like not agreeing with people of a darker skin, or gender and etc.
its completely different. if all the straight people died, and the gays didn't and stayed gay, it would be the end of the human race. if it wasn't the end of the human race then clearly some people wouldn't be the gays they made themselves out to be. if all the non-dark skinned people died, humanity would still continue but everyone would be black for a bit. if all the women died, the human race would die off but it wouldn't be because of choice.
I agree with Chewy, I dont pass it off as a human condition in the same class as race
Reply 68
If I'm not mistaken, scientists discovered a gay gene that 'predisposes' people to be homosexual, but suggests that heterosexual people can have it without becoming gay. Therefore, ultimately, you choose to be gay. Scientists ain't always right, so don't shoot the messenger!
Reply 69
xxx Anneka
If I'm not mistaken, scientists discovered a gay gene that 'predisposes' people to be homosexual, but suggests that heterosexual people can have it without becoming gay. Therefore, ultimately, you choose to be gay. Scientists ain't always right, so don't shoot the messenger!

Every creature has 'dodgy' genes. Evolution normally means they die off or remain very much minorities. Without being harsh, there are more ill, disabled or homosexual people in today's community than ever simply because we have far better medical expertise and even tolerance than ever before. Don't get me wrong - this is no bad thing.

However, the human race is effectively trying to outmuscle evolution which imho there needs to be a cut off point. Look at all the superbugs spawning because we can kill off normal ones. Nature will bite back, everything goes by survival of the fittest, except humans. Its obvious something will shaft us at some point. Eg, terminal illnesses and disease are forcibly evolving faster than ever because we are helping them by cutting out the weak bits of their 'species'.

edit: no, i'm not saying homsexuality is an illness.
Reply 70
Chewy!
its completely different. if all the straight people died, and the gays didn't and stayed gay, it would be the end of the human race. if it wasn't the end of the human race then clearly some people wouldn't be the gays they made themselves out to be. if all the non-dark skinned people died, humanity would still continue but everyone would be black for a bit. if all the women died, the human race would die off but it wouldn't be because of choice.

Well, homosexuality is a 'choice' to the same extent that heterosexuality is a choice. A heterosexual person can repress their feelings and desires and abstain from sexual relationships with the opposite sex and just have sex with the same-sex in the same way that a gay person can, but it does not change the fact that underneath it all, that person is still heterosexual. So, homosexuality is a choice in so far as a person can lie about it and have sexual relations with the opposite sex.

Economist
I agree with Chewy, I dont pass it off as a human condition in the same class as race.

I would. Perhaps I was wrong to compare homosexuality to gender, but it certainly is comparable to race in its position in the human condition.

xxx Anneka

If I'm not mistaken, scientists discovered a gay gene that 'predisposes' people to be homosexual, but suggests that heterosexual people can have it without becoming gay. Therefore, ultimately, you choose to be gay. Scientists ain't always right, so don't shoot the messenger!.

Not necessarily. I think the research you are referring to states that the reason why homosexually exists and why it will never 'end' is because about a third or so of heterosexual people carry the 'gay gene' as carriers, in the same way that certain people are carriers of other genes', but it does not display itself. For this reason, while it would be possible to kill all people belonging to a certain race, and bring that race to an end for the time being, it will never be possible to bring an end to homosexuality unless there is radical advances in genetics research.

Chewy!
Every creature has 'dodgy' genes. Evolution normally means they die off or remain very much minorities. Without being harsh, there are more ill, disabled or homosexual people in today's community than ever simply because we have far better medical expertise and even tolerance than ever before. Don't get me wrong - this is no bad thing.

However, the human race is effectively trying to outmuscle evolution which imho there needs to be a cut off point. Look at all the superbugs spawning because we can kill off normal ones. Nature will bite back, everything goes by survival of the fittest, except humans. Its obvious something will shaft us at some point. Eg, terminal illnesses and disease are forcibly evolving faster than ever because we are helping them by cutting out the weak bits of their 'species'.

edit: no, i'm not saying homsexuality is an illness.

I think your understanding of evolution is a tad flawed and severely simple. As for the claim that there are more homosexuals in today's society than there ever was before, this simply is an unprovable, and almost certainly false claim. The Ancient Greeks were notorious for their homosexual relations, far more liberal on these matters then we are today. True, there is greater tolerance for homosexuals today and so they are able to 'come out', but that does not mean that now there are more of them than before.

Also, I think evolution in the genetic sense is pretty much obsolete. Human ingenuity has pushed the importance of basic evolution to the sidelines. Primal urges no longer determine the path of human evolution.
Look whether homosexuality is a choice or not is a different debate entirely. Sticking to the topic; -1984- is clearly not a football fan and has a set of misguided, misinformed and inaccurate opinions based on some sort of personal vendetta.

If you think that "high-brow" people have less prejudiced views then my friend you are sadly not in touch with the real world. Sections of the upper classes hold just as discriminatory, prejudicial etc views just like some sections of the working class e.g. institutional racism.

Basically you are saying that (although you didn't say it literally), that "rich people are more well behaved than poor people" which is completely ridiculous. Celebrities like Paris Hilton have lots of money but are not necessarily well behaved. Also the leader of the BNP went to Cambridge University which would make him "high-brow" but yet he holds such discriminatory views.

Yes you may not be a football fan and you may not like the sport but that doesn't justify your far fetched opinion.

Also you seem to get very defensive when people make apparently "homophobic" remarks whereas you are more than happy to make misguided and ridiculous statements and sweeping generalisations about football fans. It's a case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Reply 72
Warrior King
Look whether homosexuality is a choice or not is a different debate entirely. Sticking to the topic; -1984- is clearly not a football fan and has a set of misguided, misinformed and inaccurate opinions based on some sort of personal vendetta.

If you think that "high-brow" people have less prejudiced views then my friend you are sadly not in touch with the real world. Sections of the upper classes hold just as discriminatory, prejudicial etc views just like some sections of the working class e.g. institutional racism.

Basically you are saying that (although you didn't say it literally, that "rich people are more well behaved than poor people" which is completely off the topic.

Yes you may not be a football fan and you may not like the sport but that doesn't justify your far fetched opinion.

Also you seem to get very defensive when people make apparently "homophobic" remarks whereas you are more than happy to make misguided and ridiculous statements and sweeping generalisations about football fans. It's a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Thank you for getting the topic back on track lol.

I have no vendetta against football. I've made that clear before. All I said was that because of the make-up of football fans; not all of them, but a substantial majority, the sport is more prone to discriminatory behaviour.

It's not about rich/poor, but more educated, enlightened/less educated and etc.

I am not making sweeping statements. I have never said all football fans are chavy, fanatical, uneducated working class people, but they are more likely to be working class, less educated than the fans of sports such as tennis and etc. Of course there are loads of middle-class, educated football fans, but to go into a denial about the true demographics of football fans here in the UK and abroad is just silly.
-1984-
Thank you for getting the topic back on track lol.

I have no vendetta against football. I've made that clear before. All I said was that because of the make-up of football fans; not all of them, but a substantial majority, the sport is more prone to discriminatory behaviour.

It's not about rich/poor, but more educated, enlightened/less educated and etc.

I am not making sweeping statements. I have never said all football fans are chavy, fanatical, uneducated working class people, but they are more likely to be working class, less educated than the fans of sports such as tennis and etc. Of course there are loads of middle-class, educated football fans, but to go into a denial about the true demographics of football fans here in the UK and abroad is just silly.

I'm not denying that at all but you seem to have some strong opinion that if a person is more educated, it makes them a better person and less prejudicial in their views which any Tom, Dick and Harry will tell is not true at all.

Also your not aware of the corporate nature of football where tickets in hospitality areas cna go for hundreds of pounds for a single game. Hardly the price tag to appeal to members of the "working class" is it?
Reply 74
Warrior King
I'm not denying that at all but you seem to have some strong opinion that if a person is more educated, it makes them a better person and less prejudicial in their views which any Tom, Dick and Harry will tell is not true at all.

Also your not aware of the corporate nature of football where tickets in hospitality areas cna go for hundreds of pounds for a single game. Hardly the price tag to appeal to members of the "working class" is it?

Education does make people less prejudicial. Not always, but in the majority of cases, education makes a person more aware and less prejudicial. Its no coincidence that the more higher one goes up the education ladder that the more likely you are to be tolerant of homosexuals. Of course, there are little or non-educated people who hold very little prejudicial views, but one cannot deny the correlation between education and tolerance/prejudices.

That is true, and it reflects that fact that football is gaining a greater range of fans, and it is appealing to the middle-class more so than ever before. I have not denied this, and I am glad that football is making in-rows with the middle-class. The more faster it shifts to the middle-class, the more likely we are to see a reduction in explicitly racist behaviour by the fans, e.g. in Spain with the fans making monkey noises, more likely to see homosexual players coming out, and less likely to witness hooligan behaviour.
-1984-
Education does make people less prejudicial. Not always, but in the majority of cases, education makes a person more aware and less prejudicial. Its no coincidence that the more higher one goes up the education ladder that the more likely you are to be tolerant of homosexuals. Of course, there are little or non-educated people who hold very little prejudicial views, but one cannot deny the correlation between education and tolerance/prejudices.

That is true, and it reflects that fact that football is gaining a greater range of fans, and it is appealing to the middle-class more so than ever before. I have not denied this, and I am glad that football is making in-rows with the middle-class. The more faster it shifts to the middle-class, the more likely we are to see a reduction in explicitly racist behaviour by the fans, e.g. in Spain with the fans making monkey noises, more likely to see homosexual players coming out, and less likely to witness hooligan behaviour.

But with the example of Spain you fail to take into account that Spanish society cannot pretend to be as multi-cultural as British society. The fact that our society is probably the most diverse in the world (alongside Canada and the USA) is reflected on the attitudes of football fans. Racist chanting at football matches in this coutnry is an incredibly rare sight these days.

I can't really speak for Spanish society and without sounding totally ignorant or arrogant it's not really an issue for you or me but one for the Spanish FA and Spanish society to deal with for themselves.

We can't really tell another group of people how to live their lives. Sometimes they just need to realise the answer for themselves.
Reply 76
-1984-
I think your understanding of evolution is a tad flawed and severely simple. As for the claim that there are more homosexuals in today's society than there ever was before, this simply is an unprovable, and almost certainly false claim. The Ancient Greeks were notorious for their homosexual relations, far more liberal on these matters then we are today. True, there is greater tolerance for homosexuals today and so they are able to 'come out', but that does not mean that now there are more of them than before.

there are 6 billion people in the world today. there were about 100 million in ancient greek times. i reckon there are more than 100 million gays in the world today. (less than 2% of world's population). who's claim is more likely to be true?

-1984-
Also, I think evolution in the genetic sense is pretty much obsolete. Human ingenuity has pushed the importance of basic evolution to the sidelines. Primal urges no longer determine the path of human evolution.

that's what i said. human evolution is practically decided by humans. other evolution goes natures way or is affected by humans. in some cases, vastly accelerated.
Reply 77
Chewy!
that's what i said. human evolution is practically decided by humans. other evolution goes natures way or is affected by humans. in some cases, vastly accelerated.

Well - evolution is still occuring, but the stimuli for selection are different - with animals you see it's based on strength in a lot of cases - take lions or deer for example. Now it is more orientated by image, or more commonly, inability to understand simple contraceptives.
Reply 78
Well I know for a fact that Manchester United player John O'Shea is openly gay so that ends this discussion :smile:
Reply 79
determind_1
Well I know for a fact that Manchester United player John O'Shea is openly gay so that ends this discussion :smile:

Is he just a player from a team you don't like, or is he really openly gay lol?

Latest