Too many university applicants 'pick wrong subjects at 16'

Watch
This discussion is closed.
drinktheoceans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
A survey by Which? University suggests that 1/3 of 18-19 year olds feel that they've picked the wrong subjects at 16. Do you have any regrets about your A Level/BTEC Level 3 choices, and if so why?

(Link to the BBC News article is below)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36101818
KomradeKorbyn
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm at the stage where I'm just picking my A levels (in year 11 atm) so this seems like an appropriate thread to ask if anyone has any advice.

I'm currently thinking I'll take maths physics chemistry biology, I'm interested in science in general but specifically medicine and astronomy (and also politics but my school doesn't do politics A level). Do these seem like decent choices? Anyone with similar choices have regrets?

Most people are doing 3 A levels in my school because my year is going to be the first to do the new A levels that only have exams at A2, there are no AS levels for us, so the courses are longer and require a lot more memorization. My school is (hopefully) willing to let me to four, they're letting anyone do four if they think they're able to do it, and my idea was that I could take maths and physics for if I decided to do astronomy at uni, and chemistry and biology for if I decided to do medicine. Also if I find it too much I can always drop biology and not restrict my options too much. Any thoughts/suggestions?
drinktheoceans
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
I'm at the stage where I'm just picking my A levels (in year 11 atm) so this seems like an appropriate thread to ask if anyone has any advice.

I'm currently thinking I'll take maths physics chemistry biology, I'm interested in science in general but specifically medicine and astronomy (and also politics but my school doesn't do politics A level). Do these seem like decent choices? Anyone with similar choices have regrets?

Most people are doing 3 A levels in my school because my year is going to be the first to do the new A levels that only have exams at A2, there are no AS levels for us, so the courses are longer and require a lot more memorization. My school is (hopefully) willing to let me to four, they're letting anyone do four if they think they're able to do it, and my idea was that I could take maths and physics for if I decided to do astronomy at uni, and chemistry and biology for if I decided to do medicine. Also if I find it too much I can always drop biology and not restrict my options too much. Any thoughts/suggestions?
I'm currently doing AS atm (Maths, FM, Chem, Physics and Bio), I have the new spec as well (for sciences) so I have to do all the AS topics and A2 next year (despite sitting AS examsthis year, don't know how that works out). Your subject choices are good and keep your options open however Further Maths could be very useful if you decided to not do Medicine and pursue an astronomy/Physics route. Best of luck anyways with your choices and GCSEs.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think it's because at the age of 16 many people will have no idea what to do in their future so they end up picking subjects without really considering, so by the time they have decided and applied to uni they realize the mistake they have made.

I'm currently doing an extended diploma in health and social care and I don't regret it because I know the career I want to go into is within health and social care (either early years or teaching)
KomradeKorbyn
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by drinktheoceans)
I'm currently doing AS atm (Maths, FM, Chem, Physics and Bio), I have the new spec as well (for sciences) so I have to do all the AS topics and A2 next year (despite sitting AS examsthis year, don't know how that works out). Your subject choices are good and keep your options open however Further Maths could be very useful if you decided to not do Medicine and pursue an astronomy/Physics route. Best of luck anyways with your choices and GCSEs.
Yeah, I considered further maths, and though I think I'd enjoy it it would mean I'd have to not do biology which would overall reduce my options a lot more, and whilst FM is good for astronomy as far as I know it's not essential so I think I'm best without. Thanks for the response though, I'm looking forward to A levels where I don't have to do the *****y subjects I took at GCSE (like music ).
Anonymous1502
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For me the reason I chose the 'wrong' a levels is because I didn't know what to expect my subjects were all facilitating subjects (biology,chemisty and maths).I deeply regret maths as I am finding it incredibly hard and not enoying it one bit.The thing is GCSE's are so much easier and you could receieve A/A*'s in all subjects giving you no indication what comes most naturally to you so you find yourself picking subjects which give you an incredibly hard 2 years of your life that aren't enjoyable because you didn't know what you signed up for.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (66)
14.9%
I'm not sure (16)
3.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (148)
33.41%
I have already dropped out (8)
1.81%
I'm not a current university student (205)
46.28%

Watched Threads