Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Too many university applicants 'pick wrong subjects at 16' Watch

ReputationRep:
    A survey by Which? University suggests that 1/3 of 18-19 year olds feel that they've picked the wrong subjects at 16. Do you have any regrets about your A Level/BTEC Level 3 choices, and if so why?

(Link to the BBC News article is below)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36101818
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I'm at the stage where I'm just picking my A levels (in year 11 atm) so this seems like an appropriate thread to ask if anyone has any advice.

I'm currently thinking I'll take maths physics chemistry biology, I'm interested in science in general but specifically medicine and astronomy (and also politics but my school doesn't do politics A level). Do these seem like decent choices? Anyone with similar choices have regrets?

Most people are doing 3 A levels in my school because my year is going to be the first to do the new A levels that only have exams at A2, there are no AS levels for us, so the courses are longer and require a lot more memorization. My school is (hopefully) willing to let me to four, they're letting anyone do four if they think they're able to do it, and my idea was that I could take maths and physics for if I decided to do astronomy at uni, and chemistry and biology for if I decided to do medicine. Also if I find it too much I can always drop biology and not restrict my options too much. Any thoughts/suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KomradeKorbyn)
    I'm at the stage where I'm just picking my A levels (in year 11 atm) so this seems like an appropriate thread to ask if anyone has any advice.

I'm currently thinking I'll take maths physics chemistry biology, I'm interested in science in general but specifically medicine and astronomy (and also politics but my school doesn't do politics A level). Do these seem like decent choices? Anyone with similar choices have regrets?

Most people are doing 3 A levels in my school because my year is going to be the first to do the new A levels that only have exams at A2, there are no AS levels for us, so the courses are longer and require a lot more memorization. My school is (hopefully) willing to let me to four, they're letting anyone do four if they think they're able to do it, and my idea was that I could take maths and physics for if I decided to do astronomy at uni, and chemistry and biology for if I decided to do medicine. Also if I find it too much I can always drop biology and not restrict my options too much. Any thoughts/suggestions?
    I'm currently doing AS atm (Maths, FM, Chem, Physics and Bio), I have the new spec as well (for sciences) so I have to do all the AS topics and A2 next year (despite sitting AS examsthis year, don't know how that works out). Your subject choices are good and keep your options open however Further Maths could be very useful if you decided to not do Medicine and pursue an astronomy/Physics route. Best of luck anyways with your choices and GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because at the age of 16 many people will have no idea what to do in their future so they end up picking subjects without really considering, so by the time they have decided and applied to uni they realize the mistake they have made.

I'm currently doing an extended diploma in health and social care and I don't regret it because I know the career I want to go into is within health and social care (either early years or teaching)
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by drinktheoceans)
    I'm currently doing AS atm (Maths, FM, Chem, Physics and Bio), I have the new spec as well (for sciences) so I have to do all the AS topics and A2 next year (despite sitting AS examsthis year, don't know how that works out). Your subject choices are good and keep your options open however Further Maths could be very useful if you decided to not do Medicine and pursue an astronomy/Physics route. Best of luck anyways with your choices and GCSEs.
    Yeah, I considered further maths, and though I think I'd enjoy it it would mean I'd have to not do biology which would overall reduce my options a lot more, and whilst FM is good for astronomy as far as I know it's not essential so I think I'm best without. Thanks for the response though, I'm looking forward to A levels where I don't have to do the *****y subjects I took at GCSE (like music ).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.