Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TELEPATHICTUBBY)
    Exceptionally so..thank you for asking!
    Oh and I have NOT been here for ages..so I thought I'd make up for it...
    Haha, if you're so bored why don't you just go to bed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Haha, if you're so bored why don't you just go to bed?
    Afraid, I have no such luck Cate...I'm at work on the night shift....finish at 6am...so expect a few more replies by then..

ReputationRep:
    Afraid, I have no such luck Cate...I'm at work on the night shift....finish at 6am...so expect a few more replies by then..
    lol, at least you have an actual good excuse for posting so much and not being in bed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    lol, at least you have an actual good excuse for posting so much and not being in bed
    I think you might be right... lol...well, anyway, I hope you have a good night...even more so if you stay up here, on this til six.....

ReputationRep:
    I think you might be right... lol...well, anyway, I hope you have a good night...even more so if you stay up here, on this til six.....
    lol, thanx, hope you have a good night too and that your post cound hasn't reached several thousand posts by six

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    lol, thanx, hope you have a good night too and that your post cound hasn't reached several thousand posts by six
    Well thank you for hoping that!! Lol
    I shall try my very best..as I'm sure you've realised!

ReputationRep:
    so if they all know each other you will be the novelty, they will be curious about you.

just smile and say hi, you will have to sit next to someone in your first class so start by talking to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPlum)
    Ok, so for sixth form next year I'll be going to a different school. My current high school *does* have a sixth form but I need to get away from a lot of the people there, so I'm starting afresh at another sixth form (which has a good reputation too, which is a bonus).

The thing is, most of the people at the new sixth form will already know each other seeing as they'll already have gone to the same high school together. No one else that I get on with from my current high school is going to this new sixth form. I've never had to start a new school alone before and I'm very shy.

Could anyone give me advise about starting a new school when friendships have already been established? Preferably sixth forms. Or if anyone has any experienced then I'd be grateful if you could share them (good or bad). Thanks!
    Just be friendly and talk to people. I went to my schools sixthform but 25% of people there were new and people who were there before generally make the effort to get to know the new people and make them comfatable. You could try looking for someone else who is new and looking confused. Remeber that this is a new situation for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    lol mate i went thro all of that yesterday. i had the introductory day for me new sixth form, meet the new tutor group and spend some time in the lessons you're thinking of at a-level. i'm not going to my current school's sixth form, although i've many friends there, it's convienient, i know the place well. however, there's still a majority of idiots, even in my social group, and i'm not putting up with em for another 2 years, they can all foad for all i care. really. so the reason i was changing was the fact that i was just bored and fedup with my current place.

now it's probally easier if you're going with a few people. luckily i had two mates who felt the same, two good mates who came along. ones coming for definate now, one's still unsure. few girls came along aswell, haven't spoken to them in years. one i went to primary school with, and one's in my tutor group, but we just went in different directions at secondary school. then suddenly, you're in this situation at this new place surrounded by people from majority schools, and you just seem to bond instantly, perhaps because you have no choice. but it was interesting, people that i percieved as geeky or losers (just through idiotic social status), were actually quite cool.

so there's this group of 5/6 of us. asssembly in the morning, so we're all sitting together. you can see all the people from the local schools coming in, just like a normal day to them. we go through who's in what tutor group, none of us are in the same lol. it's been done by subjects taken as opposed to friends, where you come from etc. now actually, i thought that was quite good. in a sense you were thrown in at the deep end, you couldn't just turn up and sit and talk to the ppl you already knew, you HAD to make friends.

so we go off to tutor period, and everyone's really nice. now i'm in this group full of physics students (cant think of anything else i've got in common), and everyone has that general stereotype of physics students. lol, well to be fair it's kinda true. but everyone was pretty welcoming, i had to be all polite at first since i didn't feel like getting on anyones tits at such an early stage. so you're all like, "do you mind if i sit here", and they're fine with it. you start with the usual rubbish, so where're ya from, what's ya name, subjects taken, etc etc. then you get introduced to all the other people, and within 30 minutes you pretty much kow something about everyone there.

and then it's just you go to the lessons you want, break inbetween and lunch at some point. again, you meet new people, and you see people who you know you're gonna get on with. if you actually end up doing work in the lessons however, dont answer anything unless you're 100% sure of the answer, and dont debate what the teacher says (some ginger kid in maths etc pascal's rule etc....) what they tend to do is set group activities and talk about the structure of the course, but make sure you join groups of people you dont know, ask politely if they dont mind, within a few minutes you'll be mates with em all.

so maybe i was just lucky with the school i'm going to, i found that on the whole everyone is pretty sociable. especially the girls, which i'm not gonna complain about. the boys are a bit weird, some of em wouldn't pass for yr9 honestly, whereas some already look like they're in upper 6th. the girls on the whole are hot, and really nice. it's just a shame there wasn't really much time to get to know many people, but i know a few now, so i can go back on september 10th, knowing it's all gonna be good.

it reminded me of the first day at secondary. i never had the problem of not knowing anyone. i didn't come from a majority school again, but there were a significant number of us. say 40 or so, so it wasn't like i was stuck for people to hang out with. but you had those people who came from those schools with weird names in some village from the middle of nowhere, and hell they must have found it hard. luckily i like to think we were all nice to everyone, and that's what i experienced yesterday.

so lol, that's my experience. advice wise it's hard to say, i think i was just fortunate to be going somewhere where everyone was naturally sociable and mature anyway. you do have to make the right impression though, dressing well was something that probally helped, i got quite a few compliments (heh i did the whole fancy-boy-gay-but-not-quite look, always goes down well with the opposite sex), which you have to take modestly . altho they were all very nice people, they were all victims of the first impression and looks syndrome. don't blame em, i don't claim to be any different. you have to go in a positive frame of mind, if you turn up all negative like "wtf whyyy am i doing this", then that'll reflect your personality to others. go in there confident, speak to others with confidence (dont be afraid to ask people things, and speak to them like you would any of your mates, and keep a confident voice). dont leave with any questions un-answered either! the teachers more than understand the situation and are happy to answer anything or point you in the right direction.

you might even find people you /really/! like, hell theres this hot girl in my french class. just spent the 40 mins laughin together,never did find out her name or who she was :P that should be fun in september. and i hate school but seriously, i wanna go back right now and just get to know everyone that little bit more. can't wait until the enrolement

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SugarPlum)
    Ok, so for sixth form next year I'll be going to a different school. My current high school *does* have a sixth form but I need to get away from a lot of the people there, so I'm starting afresh at another sixth form (which has a good reputation too, which is a bonus).

The thing is, most of the people at the new sixth form will already know each other seeing as they'll already have gone to the same high school together. No one else that I get on with from my current high school is going to this new sixth form. I've never had to start a new school alone before and I'm very shy.

Could anyone give me advise about starting a new school when friendships have already been established? Preferably sixth forms. Or if anyone has any experienced then I'd be grateful if you could share them (good or bad). Thanks!
    I think you've got to use the 'Fake it, to make it" technique. You've already said you're shy but no one at your new school will no this, so it's your chance to come out of your shell a bit... if you act unshy, although it might seem hard, you'll eventually loose your shyness.
    The best way to make new friends is to just ask questions about people, then you can decide what you have in common and take it from there. Don't try to be someone your not, because people will see through that, but just be talk to as many people as you can - not everyone will be your cup of tea, but the more people you talk to the more you'll find the people you wouldn't mind spending more time with. And when you get to know them a bit, don't be afraid to ask them if they want to go out, or do something at the weekend rather than wait around for them to ask you if you want to go out with them.
    When my best friend joined our school in 6th form she instantly became popular because she spoke to everyone, made them laugh, invited herself along to the shop at lunch time, and was just a generally nice person.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, thanks for the advice everyone! I really appreciate all this. It's comforting to know that others have been in the same situation and survived. Lol!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.