Ableton Question Watch

the wolf at the door
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm thinking of getting Ableton Live to create some music. I have a mic and guitar, so recording them is fine. However, does anyone know if Ableton has a drum machine that can be used and/or a keyboard/piano?

Apologies if this is a really stupid question, which I expect it is, but i've never used it before. Cheers
Zargabaath
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by the wolf at the door)
I'm thinking of getting Ableton Live to create some music. I have a mic and guitar, so recording them is fine. However, does anyone know if Ableton has a drum machine that can be used and/or a keyboard/piano?

Apologies if this is a really stupid question, which I expect it is, but i've never used it before. Cheers
It has a sampler and I think it has a drum sequencer.
Have you checked out Reaper by the way? It's perfect for recording live instruments and it's totally free as well.
the wolf at the door
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zargabaath)
It has a sampler and I think it has a drum sequencer.
Have you checked out Reaper by the way? It's perfect for recording live instruments and it's totally free as well.
Ok... So the piano/drum sounds are basically loaded onto the program and you just click the note or whatever you want? Sorry to dumb it down, but i've been using an online piano - which basically means the keys on the laptop keyboard are turned into the piano keys. Nice n simple. Is something like this possible on Ableton?

I'm looking up Reaper now..... thanks
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok... So the piano/drum sounds are basically loaded onto the program and you just click the note or whatever you want? Sorry to dumb it down, but i've been using an online piano - which basically means the keys on the laptop keyboard are turned into the piano keys. Nice n simple. Is something like this possible on Ableton?

I'm looking up Reaper now..... thanks
It has some synths and a piano roll, but I'm not sure about using keyboard keys as a musical keyboard. You may have to get a MIDI keyboard or just draw the notes in.

EDIT: btw a piano roll is like a picture of one octave on a piano, idk how musical you are apologies if I'm patronising you :P

Drum sounds are handled a bit differently, this tutorial can explain it better then I could
the wolf at the door
Rep:
?
THANKS very much Zarga. I've looked up Reaper and it seems to be very similar to Ableton, and appears to have virtual instruments. I may try it out. Thanks again.
Zargabaath
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
THANKS very much Zarga. I've looked up Reaper and it seems to be very similar to Ableton, and appears to have virtual instruments. I may try it out. Thanks again.
No worries
I use Reaper to record guitars so i can definitely vouch for it :yep:
Trillher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ableton is better if you're sampling **** from my experience
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (146)
45.91%
Pro-humanity (172)
54.09%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise