Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Bitcoin basically a currency for Programmers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it mainly used for programmers to sell programs to each other? That seems sensible to me. Other than that I don't really see how it can be useful to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    Is it mainly used for programmers to sell programs to each other? That seems sensible to me. Other than that I don't really see how it can be useful to anyone.
    you're pulling my leg right it commands the criminal marketplace where you can buy ak47's, semtex and all manner of drugs not to mention stolen goods and rare artifacts
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No, not at all. Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc2en3nHxA4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    you're pulling my leg right it commands the criminal marketplace where you can buy ak47's, semtex and all manner of drugs not to mention stolen goods and rare artifacts
    What do you mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M14B)
    What do you mean exactly?
    the dark web

ReputationRep:
    the dark web
    I see

ReputationRep:
    Used by many to purchase illegal products and services, online, anonymously. It doesn't leave a trace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    You don't perceive the utility of untraceable currency in safely procuring contraband, or any number of services decreed illicit by sovereign bodies in regressive, despotic and unstable regimes the world over? You don't see how an independent, self-regulating monetary system which transcends geography and circumvents the partisan interests of banks, governments and regulatory bodies might thereby serve to enfranchise certain sectors of society, aside from 'programmers'?

Is the above diatribe rhetorical enough for you?
    **** me did you use a thesaurus to write that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    **** me did you use a thesaurus to write that
    I tried, but found that my fingers produced more legible results.

ReputationRep:
    Despite it completely goes against George Orwell's rules to clear English

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    i mean, better writers than him don't follow that rule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NX172)
    I'm sure that George Orwell would be delighted that you invoke his authority with such unquestioning (albeit illiterate) deference.

ReputationRep:
    You don't perceive the utility of untraceable currency in safely procuring contraband, or any number of services decreed illicit by sovereign bodies in regressive, despotic and unstable regimes the world over? You don't see how an independent, self-regulating monetary system which transcends geography and circumvents the partisan interests of banks, governments and regulatory bodies might thereby serve to enfranchise certain sectors of society, aside from 'programmers'?

Is the above diatribe rhetorical enough for you?
    And my local takeaway accepts them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that George Orwell would be delighted that you invoke his authority with such unquestioning (albeit illiterate) deference.
    Well, that was about as scathing and juvenile as a Youtube comment.

ReputationRep:
    I assumed there was a legitimate reason for it other than criminal activity.

ReputationRep:
    It's used in loads of legitimate businesses now, the main plus for it is that it's decentralised and anonymous. I like it because there's little fees involved and you don't have to deal with annoying companies always limiting you like PayPal does.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 2, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.