Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently stuck between these two universities for the course of Joint Honours Economics and Geography.
    I was originally planning to firm Exeter, but I got an offer from the Cornwall campus which is way too far for me, as I discovered as I drove there (5 hours, and it's 6/7 hours by train). Never again.

I've considered the advantages and disadvantages, but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Leeds
    Advantages:
    - Cheaper
    - Offers a Year in Industry
    - Degree has a much higher graduate employment rate than the one offered at Birmingham
    - Better accommodation at a cheaper price
    Disadvantages:
    - 2.5 hours away
    - Campus is very... concrete-based. Business school is very nice though
    - The North = cold

Birmingham
    Advantages:
    - Closer (50 minutes away)
    - Better 'reputation'?
    - Nicer, greener campus
    - Very familiar with city (been to Bham so many times...)
    Disadvantages:
    - No Year in Industry offered
    - Not great employability stats for my degree
    - Accommodation is fairly expensive
    - Family have said they'll visit at least one a fortnight... Not sure if I want that

Kind of a head vs heart decision.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peppercrunch)
    Hello, I'm currently stuck between these two universities for the course of Joint Honours Economics and Geography.
    I was originally planning to firm Exeter, but I got an offer from the Cornwall campus which is way too far for me, as I discovered as I drove there (5 hours, and it's 6/7 hours by train). Never again.

I've considered the advantages and disadvantages, but I can't seem to make up my mind.

Leeds
    Advantages:
    - Cheaper
    - Offers a Year in Industry
    - Degree has a much higher graduate employment rate than the one offered at Birmingham
    - Better accommodation at a cheaper price
    Disadvantages:
    - 2.5 hours away
    - Campus is very... concrete-based. Business school is very nice though
    - The North = cold

Birmingham
    Advantages:
    - Closer (50 minutes away)
    - Better 'reputation'?
    - Nicer, greener campus
    - Very familiar with city (been to Bham so many times...)
    Disadvantages:
    - No Year in Industry offered
    - Not great employability stats for my degree
    - Accommodation is fairly expensive
    - Family have said they'll visit at least one a fortnight... Not sure if I want that

Kind of a head vs heart decision.

Thank you.
    Both universities have a great reputation. Birmingham is well respected for its research, however Leeds having the placement year is invaluable. You won't care about the design of the buildings and the extra £500 or £1500 a year for accommodation once your employed.

A coat will fix the cold

I personally prefer Birmingham but that's because of the rankings and the research status which is important to me.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.