Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing d1 alongside fp1 and nm for mei AS further maths (self taught) and Im struggling to get good grades in the d1 past papers. I know the methods in the book but i despise the exam, so I was wondering if any of you have some tips.

Ive done 3 past papers so far and in the first 2 I got low Bs because of very low grade boundaries and luck, and in the latest one I got a D. The timing is a struggle, but often there is many parts of questions I can't do to them being weird and me not knowing how to deal with them.

If I don't do well on d1 then it will drag down my overall grade, I wish I chose a different module but its too late now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannoning)
    I'm doing d1 alongside fp1 and nm for mei AS further maths (self taught) and Im struggling to get good grades in the d1 past papers. I know the methods in the book but i despise the exam, so I was wondering if any of you have some tips.

Ive done 3 past papers so far and in the first 2 I got low Bs because of very low grade boundaries and luck, and in the latest one I got a D. The timing is a struggle, but often there is many parts of questions I can't do to them being weird and me not knowing how to deal with them.

If I don't do well on d1 then it will drag down my overall grade, I wish I chose a different module but its too late now.
    In terms of timing, it's practice! You need to keep doing papers and slowly you will improve your timing! I promise it helps! By the end of revision I think my average D1 paper was about 45-60 minutes so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    In terms of timing, it's practice! You need to keep doing papers and slowly you will improve your timing! I promise it helps! By the end of revision I think my average D1 paper was about 45-60 minutes so
    Thanks, I am doing past papers. Its mostly that there is a lot of pretty weird questions that the mark scheme doesn't explain the answer well, for example estimating probabilities based off of simulations.

ReputationRep:
    Lots and lots of practice. Complete loads of text book questions and it should come naturally - D1 questions don't differ all that much. Carry on doing papers and don't be demoralised; and check and recheck your answers as you're going.
    It may also help to check each question as you finish them so you can make corrections and spot / repair frequent errors.

Maybe you're also marking harshly. There are loads of method marks you can get for doing the right thing with the wrong numbers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.